Glove Box Broke (now stuck shut!)

brickheadbs

1995 Pathfinder: recently purchased with broken glove box.

The glove box would fall down and dump it's contents out on the floor, which was annoying. The latch came apart and it wouldn't stay closed either!!! I tried to put the latch back together and now it's stuck shut!!! Can't win, eh?

The interior is in very good shape so I am thinking it will be difficult to find a matching replacement if I need to replace the whole thing. I'm not sure what part is missing that holds the thing closed since - well, it's missing!

Where is the stop? and if the actual box is broken, how do you remove it? As far as the latch goes, I'm afraid that I'm going to break the dash part if I just yank it open. I'd rather just keep it stuck shut than make things worse.

Suggestions anyone?

The box has 2 pins that are in the bottom that allow it to hinge. They can be pushed into the box to allow the whole box to come out.

You say you put the latch back together....what'd you use? How did you put it back together? I'd say try to get the pins to push into the box, and hopefully if you can get the bottom loose, you can get the whole box opened, and then take some pics to show us what's going on.

The box has 2 pins that are in the bottom that allow it to hinge. They can be pushed into the box to allow the whole box to come out.

You say you put the latch back together....what'd you use? How did you put it back together? I'd say try to get the pins to push into the box, and hopefully if you can get the bottom loose, you can get the whole box opened, and then take some pics to show us what's going on.

Cool, that sounds easy. I guess if I had gotten a bright light and looked close I may have seen that...

For the lock...I don't know how you describe the parts. I think the part that moves when you pull the open lever is probably called the latch. If I remember right since I haven't seen it in a long time :-() the latch popped off, i.e. ejected with the spring. I remember pushing it back on and holding it down till I could slam it shut. Hmmm...I guess it would make sense that it is stuck shut if I had to do that...I didn't look to see how the locking mechanism worked before I did that. We were going somewhere and I didn't want to listen to my passenger complain about the hanging open box the whole time.

So once I get the box open and the pins removed, what part am I looking for to stop it from falling open?...

Yeah, I can take some pics. It may be a little while before I have time to mess around with it. I'm having eye surgery next week. And, besides, it's really cold and snowing out so I will likely procrastinate a little after that. :-|

How do you upload a picture anyway? Just put it as an attachment? Oh, and thanks for the quick reply!

I had a similiar problem with my 92.

The lock broke, and i couldnt get the damn thing open. I removed the bottom pins, which gave the door a bit of play, so i had to pry the door open. try using 2 thin pieces of metal on each side of the lock mechanism, and slide the pieces inwards to compress the locking pins.

i pushed a bit too hard, and broke my strike and my glove box 'hinge pins'. :angry:

I glued the strike back together, but the box never seemed to close quite right after that. The box hinge pins are actually part of the inner 'lining of the glove box.

Stealership cost was $84.97. A wrecker charged me $20 for the lock, box, and strike.

Apparently the strike is on the upper inner top of the box opening, and can be bought from a boneyard, or a stealership if yer not so lucky.

The lock striker is PN# 68640-75P00 and costs $7.10.

The lock is PN# 68630-V6926 and costs: $37.39

The lock itself was way too expensive at the stealership, so i found a non-locking latch at a wrecker. The way i see it, if someone wants in yer box that bad, the thief will probably do more damage if he cant open the box anyways...

good luck you you.

al

I'm a little more conservative than that...

I start with a 12lb sledge hammer and work my way up.

Yeah... but the problem with sledge hammer is it has a tendancy to scrach things, if you miss... I'd use a couple gallons of good Hydrochloric Acid...

Edited by texasbudman

• 12 years later...

Any ideas on how to open glove box without breaking anything, or breaking the least amount of parts?

Mine is stuck shut the handle seems to be disconnected from the actual latch mechanism and just moves freely..

Removing the bottom 2 pins does not help me as the box is still attached by the latch..

I'm ready to just break the thing off but I don't want to damage the surronding plastics..

Cheers

All the screws are ofcourse on the inside but if you can look under and up behind the handle theres a hole where the plastic pin is.The pin sits on a small spring...alittle screwdriver or tool of choice should beable to pop the spring off its little mouint  without causing any damage...it just sits on a little nub of plastic on the "backside" ofthe little hole...make sure itsnot locked..should be easy enough to do...goodluck