center link question

german996

Hi everyone, I have been learning a lot about my PF through this forum I think is awesome, I have a 95 at tranny, 4wd, that I have just started off roading with , and I am concern with th e center link and also with rust in the frame, I show no signs of it yet, maybe I never will , but is there a pattern in early wear in the CL or in the frame on this rusting issue?

thank you once more for your help and opinions

Jack the front end up. Move the tire side to side. If you see the CL rotating, it's shot. It should only move side to side with steering...there should be NO up/down play in it.

hoohaa makes an excellent upgraded centerlink. Another option is the Calmini HD steering setup, but it's pricey.

Jack the front end up. Move the tire side to side. If you see the CL rotating, it's shot. It should only move side to side with steering...there should be NO up/down play in it.

hoohaa makes an excellent upgraded centerlink. Another option is the Calmini HD steering setup, but it's pricey.

actually there is a little bit of up and down movement just not much.. 1/4 in or something.. maybe a tad more but if it's loose then it's shot.. the thing is that you also need to check your TREs and BJs because they could also give you false symptoms.

To be absolutely sure, get a friend to help. Lift front end and get your friend to move the tire side to side while you look at each joint of the center link for slack. If its bad, you'll see it give at the joint! Doing it by yourself, you wont be able to feel the slack unless its SHOT. As for the rust, its best to use a small ball peen hammer and tap on the frame with it. If you find a soft/thin spot, it wont "ping" like everywhere else. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

You guys have it wrong.

No jacking up. Just have someone sit in the driver's seat, turn the key on (leave the engine off) and move the steering wheel back and forth while you get underneath to watch the steering joints move back and forth. Take the skidplate off if so equipped for ease of observation. Use a flashlight if there is low light. Excessive slop is bad, mmkay?