Roof rack wind deflector vibrating

Heidi

I have the big black wind deflector thing that says "nissan" on the front of the roof rack on my 2002.

It has gotten bowed (i guess from temperature changes) and is about a half-inch away from the roof in one place... now wind gets in there when driving and it vibrates / rattles against the roof like you wouldn't believe, sounds like someone is drumming on my roof.

What do you suggest? Should I remove it, and if so, how? Can I repair it?

Thanks!

-heidi

You can remove that fairing from the front, and as far as I know still keep the rest of the rack. Mine does the same thing and there's a TSB on this. The dealer actually has a repair kit for it which I'm sure is a complete, overpriced waste of $$.

My advice? Remove it or learn to deal with it (that's what I've learned to do)

If you remove the wind deflector, I bet you will see that the plastic has pulled away from the metal support that runs across the middle. I used some Gorilla Glue and C-clamps and got everything to line back up just fine, really easy fix.

Question for one of you who removed yours -- How do you get it off, i can't seem to find any fastening hardware that would affect it. I would like to take off this piece and try to repair it and reinstall it. I don't want to end up taking off the whole roof rack just to get at this one part if i don't have to... but i will if it's the only way. Please let me know. Thanx.

-heidi :coffee!:

ok, those black corner caps did come off and whew we had the right tool to get those bolts off (they're not regular screw heads, they're the star ones). i'll indeed be glueing and clamping that flappy plastic part to the metal frame behind it, you're right it looks like they just had some double-sided tape and it's gotten hard and is peeling off...

one more question, the two corner caps that i popped off with a screwdriver, each has 2 plastic posts with little silver teethy holders... three holders came with the corner caps, one stayed on the main part of the roof rack. does this matter when reassembling?

thanks for all your suggestions and help!

-heidi