Noisy Lifter, Nissan VQ 3.5

Trainman

So the motor on the Pathfinder has been ticking for around 8,000 km. My shop in town told me to get it diagnosed at a dealer, which I finally did today. They say it is a lifter (that is what my mechanic thought too). All they did was add some Kleen Flow valve oil additive stuff and suggested doing this for the next 2-3 oil changes. If the noise does not go away after that, then it will be time to get into the motor and see what is up.

I of course want to bring this to the well versed techs here at NPORA and see what you think. Is the dealers suggestion reasonable? Anything else?

More info: 135,758 km; full synthetic oil since 100,000 km, changed every 5,000 km; no codes showing; no engine drivability issues. Except for the noise, the motor has not been this good for as long as I have owned it :tongue:

Have at it :hide:

So the motor on the Pathfinder has been ticking for around 8,000 km. My shop in town told me to get it diagnosed at a dealer, which I finally did today. They say it is a lifter (that is what my mechanic thought too). All they did was add some Kleen Flow valve oil additive stuff and suggested doing this for the next 2-3 oil changes. If the noise does not go away after that, then it will be time to get into the motor and see what is up.

I of course want to bring this to the well versed techs here at NPORA and see what you think. Is the dealers suggestion reasonable? Anything else?

More info: 135,758 km; full synthetic oil since 100,000 km, changed every 5,000 km; no codes showing; no engine drivability issues. Except for the noise, the motor has not been this good for as long as I have owned it :tongue:

Have at it :hide:

I had this problem on a Pajero.

One simple fix to try (no guarantees) is to try bleeding it. This is from memory so I may be out on the revs/timings:

Put valve cleaning admixture in.

Start engine. Increase revs gradually over 15 seconds to 4000 RPM. Hold for 5 seconds. Reduce back to idle for 15 seconds. Repeat 20 times.

This can help flush out a hydraulic lifter apparently and is recommended by Mitsubishi as a first stage if lifters are rattly.

Like I said, no guarantees. It didn't work on my old Pajero but you never know..

I had the the noisy lifters problem as well. I read about (and sucessfully tried) the following remedy

Buy the cheapest (Walmart or dollar store) 5 quarts of tranny fuuid and oil filter you could find. Also buy your normal oil and filter.

Drain the old oil and remove the old filter.

Install the new (cheap) filter.

Fill the engine with the tranny fluid.

Run the engine for 5minutes. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE.

Drain the tranny fluid and remove the filter.

Refill with your usual oil.

I personally did not like the idea of five quarts on tranny fluid in the engine, so I did 3 quarts tranny and 2 quarts oil. That stopped the ticking valves for me. Note well, some do not recommend tranny fluid in the egine for fear that it may loosen too much sludge and thereby clog the lifters even further. You may want to do some more research.

I have heard the same information! It was reccommended to me that you use 1 qt in you oil change and run the engine normal until the oil looks dirty....probably would happen in about 1000 miles. This is a little slower more controled way but same priciples....high detergent removes oil clots!

Edited by 02silverpathy

• 8 years later...

So I have this tick going on:

I tried the ATF cleaning method that Wil suggested above. That video is after that procedure. Ticking is still there... Is it safe to say that my problem is NOT the lifters? I'm at my wits end trying to figure this noise out....

I'm reading some stuff that it could be the timing chain guides... any advice/thoughts?

• 4 years later...
On 5/25/2016 at 9:31 PM, starbai said:

So I have this tick going on:

I tried the ATF cleaning method that Wil suggested above. That video is after that procedure. Ticking is still there... Is it safe to say that my problem is NOT the lifters? I'm at my wits end trying to figure this noise out....

I'm reading some stuff that it could be the timing chain guides... any advice/thoughts?

Starbai did you get this sorted?