Capacities?

ennacac

Can anyone direct me to the actual capacities of the front and read differential, the transfer case and the transmission on my 89 Pathfinder 4x4?

Everywhere I look, the numbers are different including my Nissan shop manual, so what are they really.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by ennacac

The Nissan manual should be the most exact. That said, don't think that that amount is what has to be there. if it calls for 2 quarts in the diff and it overflows the fill hole at 1 3/4 quarts, then that's full, don't try to figure out how to get another 1/4 quart in, it is fine. The capacities listed should just give you a basic idea of how much it needs, following the directions for checking the various fluids to see that they are at the proper levels is what you should be more concerend with.

This should be a pinned topic in the Garage.

Like Greg said, fill to the fill plug hole, but here's the specs for the record.

From the Nissan factory service manual:

Engine Coolant (US quarts):

2WD : 10-1/2

4WD: 11-1/2

reservoir tank: 7/8

Engine Oil (US quarts):

2WD w/filter change: 4-1/4 w/out filter: 3-5/8

4WD w/filter change: 3-7/8 w/out filter: 3-1/8

Manual Transmission Oil (according to a TSB):

The fluid has to be filled 1.5 liters above the fill plug, for a capacity of 5.1 liters. The truck has to be tilted some or filled through the shifter opening. Don't use GL5.

Automatic Transmission Fluid (US quarts):

2WD: 8-3/8

4WD: 9

Transfer (US quarts):

2-3/8

Differential (liters):

Front : 1.5

Rear: 2.8

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Pathy from a wrecker with 580,000km's. Fixed the munch passenger side corner. And now I want to change the oil for the t-case, tranny and diffs. I don't have a manual, what kind and vicosity of oil goes in the t-case, tranny and diffs?

Clearly a rookie

~Mike

diffs use 75w90, if you have a Limited Slip differential in the rear, make sure the fluid is rated for it. You can just buy LSD rated fluid for both diffs, as even if they're open, it won't hurt them at all.

The transfer case can use either 75w90, or ATF. Personally, I go with the same fluid as in my transmission, in case the seal between the two leaks.

Thanks for the reply on capacities, that was a big help.

It isn't that I don't believe that the transmission requires more fluid than the manual states, and I am going to put an extra quart and a half in my 89. I was just wondering why the three Pathfinders I had in the past (2 88's and a 87) never had any transmission issues and I always only filled them to the top of the filler hole.

Also it is hard to find GL4 fluid locally, as everything in the local stores is GL5.

Tom

Thanks for the reply on capacities, that was a big help.

It isn't that I don't believe that the transmission requires more fluid than the manual states, and I am going to put an extra quart and a half in my 89. I was just wondering why the three Pathfinders I had in the past (2 88's and a 87) never had any transmission issues and I always only filled them to the top of the filler hole.

lucky

Also it is hard to find GL4 fluid locally, as everything in the local stores is GL5.

Tom

NAPA

• 3 years later...

Great thread! This is the kind of stuff I need/want to know about my vehicles! How often should all these fluids be changed? Mine has been sitting up for the past 4 years, so that's a given that it needs changing... But on regular service intervals, what's the recommended lifespan of the diff fluid/TC fluid etc? This makes for my first 4WD since the Humvees we had in the Army.

• Like 1