Inclinometer

hi, i want an inclinometer, i've seen the pic of xplorx4's, where can i get one? are they vehicle specific? are they easy to install? thanks!!!!

ebay is your friend

Lot's of cheap clinometer's as well as some more expensive ones from overseas. Start your search there.

Installation? Find a hot lead for the red wire on the back of the clinometer, find a nut that's attatched to metal with no plastic in between for the black wire (ground)...solder/crimp/splice/etc and you're done.

Various online sources sell clinometers. They are not vehicle-specific, and usually come with a Jeep graphic or a pickup truck graphic. The pickup truck graphic is harder to find. They are easy to install with a couple of wire connections for the light and double-sided tape to stick it to your dash. Search google for "pickup truck graphic clinometer".

Meh, those things are only for looks...when do you think you'll ever use it? I had one from a Montero, I never did get to use it cause most of the time I was watching where I was driving, not watching the clinometer.

I'd previously thought that too, but I've been in situations where on the trail where, from outside the vehicle, it looked quite precarious, then the driver checked their clinometer, and had the confidence to drive out of the situation. I've seen it work the reverse way as well.

I read an ebay listing for one that read something like,

"makes your truck look like a serious off roading machine..." or something to that extent, LOL!

By the time you realize you've exceeded your trucks danger angle you're already picking your change bin's contents off of the headliner.

Edited by navygz19

Geez, if I had one of those I would most likely wet myself. Maybe ignorance is bliss. I try to subscribe to the "red-neck" theory. If some one says "Boy, I wouldn't do that if I was you" I figure they are right. They do look kinda cool though.

I originally got the clinometer because there were many times I was freaked out by being off-camber, and I thought I was close to rolling. It wasn't until after I learned that the R50 has a 45° static rollover angle and purchased the clinometer that I had the confidence to proceed, knowing how close to tipping I actually am. In practice, the actual rollover angle depends on lots of other factors including cargo, passengers, and other mods, but it's still nice to know where you're at. Believe me, 25° off-camber feels quite disconcerting, usually enough to make you rethink whether you want to continue over an obstacle.

• 2 weeks later...

bought the clinometer, love it, also bought the scanguage2 for my continuing ecm battle, also love it, but whats an easy power supply for the light for the clinometer, I'm assuming just find a 12v for it, mine didn't come with any instructions, wheres any easy spot to hop in on some power?

bought the clinometer, love it, also bought the scanguage2 for my continuing ecm battle, also love it, but whats an easy power supply for the light for the clinometer, I'm assuming just find a 12v for it, mine didn't come with any instructions, wheres any easy spot to hop in on some power?

Cig. lighter...that's where I ran my CB, and you've also got a good ground right there as well.

bought the clinometer... wheres any easy spot to hop in on some power?

For mine, I tapped into the lighting circuit for the hazard switch (the circuit that activates when you turn the parking lights on). I extended the wire and routeit behind the dash panel. Just tap into any circuit that activates when you turn on the lights. There are quite a few to choose from, but the two easiest are the hazard switch and the cigarette lighter (the lighting terminals, not the actual cigarette lighter terminals).

• 1 year later...
When I clicked on the "buy now" link, it listed at the $99.00 tekazgtr1984 mentioned, not the $179 on the front page (plus shipping of course!).

Weird....Crazy people with their crazy prices...

Maybe the $179 is a bundle package price or something, or the $99 is like an introductory price?

Either way, it's a lot of money for something that can be done with a $25 clinometer...

Hmm...I'm not finding it on ACs site anymore, but they're showing this digital one for $172.50...yikes!

Or just buy a crappy bubble clinometer for $10 :) I'd almost rather have that because you can tuck it into a tighter, less obstructing spot, yet it still does the same job.

Edited by Zibi

Meh, those things are only for looks...when do you think you'll ever use it? I had one from a Montero, I never did get to use it cause most of the time I was watching where I was driving, not watching the clinometer.

Couldn't agree more, had them in all 3 of my Mitsubishis. The last thing you are looking at when things get tricky is the inclnometer. B)