WD21 Rear Hatch Sensor

Xmas

I saw a fix (how to) for a WD21 Rear Hatch Sensor.

I think this maybe a problem w/ my 95.

What I notice is that on my cluster 'an open door light' flashes on and off once in a while cruising down the highway

I know all my doors are shut close tight. You guys think this might be the prob and this could be the cure?

Damn, I have a honey do list on my new pathy that's for sure :(

Thanks

What I notice is that on my cluster 'an open door light' flashes on and off once in a while cruising down the highway I know all my doors are shut close tight. You guys think this might be the prob and this could be the cure?

I have the exact same problem! Thanks for pointing the way to the hatch sensor and latch hoop. I will try it tomorrow and report back.

Damn, I have a honey do list on my new pathy that's for sure.

Join the club! :puterpunch:

UPDATE: Adding two washers, one for each 12mm bolt, under the latch did the trick.

Edited by feloniousmonk

[Hi there, first time here, I have the same problem on mine, can you please be more specific in which bolts should i add the washers? I have tried to post but it wont let me do it for some reason...

Thanks in advance

there's a loop that the hatch catches when closed. Remove the floor trim in the rear (carefully unscrew the plastic screws from the spreading inserts) and lift it out. If you need to break those f'ing little things, you can pickup replacements at almost any auto parts store or in the specialty drawers at Home depot or Lowes. Once you have the trim off, take out the 2 12mm bolts that hold the 'loop' in the little trough that it lives in. Put a couple washers uner the damned thing and bolt it back on. You can play with the depth front to back a little but make sure you have good left to right alignment. Test close the hatch then grab the wiper arm (at the base) and give a good tug to see if your light comes on. If no... pull a little harder. If still no, you should reinstall your trim (a little trimming may be necessary for clearance). If the light still comes on, add another washer and play with the front to back until you get a good tight latch. I had to tweak my bumpers on my hatch as well to ensure a tight hold so the door didn't rattle around. I can post pics if you need.

• Like 1

Yep....ditto to K9sar, and Mr. P. Same thing for me...washers, and slid the little loop forward, tightened her down. No issues since.

How many washers per bolt (2) did you use?

Mine door light still coming on, even after adding two spacers per bolt. :(

Maybe I'll add another spacer per side :)

I only put 2 small washers per side. Make sure you force it forward towards the front of the truck as much as possible while bolting it down.

Ok, I did not push the loop foward. I kept it in the same place as it originally was. lol

I'll see what happens when I "Get -ER-Done" today :)

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I had two washers on mine but it wasn't working anymore.

Then I cut a strip of rubber mat and wrapped it around the striker, fixed with some glue for rubber.

Now the lights doesn't flicker, and closing the rear hatch is much softer than ever, without that hard iron-to-iron sound.

IMG_20150326_134026892_HDR_zpsqgh5hilm.j

IMG_20150328_194401852_zpskejqz6y9.jpg

Edited by flnl
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I tried something like that too, but it didn't work as well for me. I ended up just disconnecting the spade connector to kill the whole thing, but atleast now my foot and dome lights don't flicker on and off anymore while I'm driving.

My '95 sensor was disconnected when I got it, and when I went in to fix the sensor I realized the part was badly designed to begin with and not worth the trouble. I ended up re-wiring the hatch sensor wire to the tire carrier sensor (through a diode to prevent the dome light circuit from lighting up the tire carrier light on the dash when I took the key out). It was a fairly easy mod and it hasn't given me any trouble.

The odd thing is, I don't think either of my trucks have the main dome light or the footwell lights tied into the cargo light. The only time I had my dome light flicker was when the hinge pins were so knackered that the door wasn't closing right.