rear lights not working...

texasbudman

I just noticed that my 90's rear lights are not working... brake lights do...

Any ideas on what to try first...(I ck'ed the fuse)

Side note, Drivers side low beam hasen't worked for a bit... even after I changed the bulb and fueses...

I read on here to clean up the switch inside the lever... okay, this weekend, for sure... but does anyone have any do's and don'ts for taking apart the lever... please... If I screw it up, its real hard to get parts shipped here...

Thanks

PS I still haven't figured out the (earlier post) A/C electic issue... if anyone knows/cares...

Edited by texasbudman

I don't auto electrical very well, but it sounds like you may have a grounding, or lack there of, issue. Check the black wires going to the body/chassis to make sure they clean and tight.

And...good luck beyond that. :crossedwires:

Side note, Drivers side low beam hasen't worked for a bit... even after I changed the bulb and fueses...

I read on here to clean up the switch inside the lever... okay, this weekend, for sure... but does anyone have any do's and don'ts for taking apart the lever... please... If I screw it up, its real hard to get parts shipped here...

Thanks

PS I still haven't figured out the (earlier post) A/C electic issue... if anyone knows/cares...

Take the headlight switch out and clean the contacts. It is a common issue with our Pathfinders.

I'd check with a multimeter all the way back to the headlight switch after checking both bulbs...I assume theres a relay for it as well so it could just be a bad relay for the tail lights...I'll try to check around and see but my FSM is on the other computer which is buried under 2 others right now...

Do the rest of your lights work (dash, etc.)? If not, check the Meter fuse in the fuse box under the dash. If they do work, on to the switch you go. Its pretty straight forward, really. I've cleaned it, then recently replaced it with one from a junkyard truck for like $30 IIRC. Yeah, that was pretty spendy but not too horrible. They were proud of it, but I was in a hurry and they wouldn't let me tear down an intact column. Good luck!

I don't auto electrical very well,

Roost... join the club... were talking about getting jackets...

Rac... any do's and don't on ripping out the switch... don't want to do a bone head/ rookie mistake...

88... I'll ck the switch... and yes both the blinkers do work fine (hazards too)... break lights... as far as I'm conserned, it doesen't make any sense that they don't come on when the headlights do...

uncc... all the bulbs work for everything but the rear when the driving lights are turned on... I'll ck to see if I can find the relay in the repair guide... I glanced at it but reading that thing is like reading spagetti...

Pickles... the dash light bulb hasen't worked since I got her, but everything else on the panel works fine, but the guy I bought her from had rigged a illuminated windshild wiper knob on the collumn for light (it looks odd but worked)... any how that stopped working a few weeks back... however both the dome lights do work...***as for the junkyard... If it was worth it to you AT THE TIME... who cares... you got what you needed, and thats all that matters.... Me and a buddy of mine bought a standard used tire that was bald with a Huge lump for something ridiculous like $25-30 (in high school 15+ yrs ago)... but we were Drunk, it was Real Late, in Mexico, and the spare was shredded and the rim looked like a deformed stop sign... Hey we made it home... Best Damn Tire we ever bought!!!!!!***

Thank you EVERONE for your useful input/comments/support... and by all means don't hesitate to comment if you come up with anything else...

:crossedwires::fireworx::jig:

Lets see which one of the three dudes I will be on Monday...Thanks again...

Rac... any do's and don't on ripping out the switch... don't want to do a bone head/ rookie mistake...

I have been trying to upload some pics I just took to show you how to clean the contacts, but apparently I have used 147.98k of 150k of the attachments space. PM me with your e-mail and I can mail them to you.

***Had an e-mail sent with 4 good pics, hope this will help.*** :aok:

Edited by racaron

• 2 weeks later...
I have been trying to upload some pics I just took to show you how to clean the contacts, but apparently I have used 147.98k of 150k of the attachments space. PM me with your e-mail and I can mail them to you.

***Had an e-mail sent with 4 good pics, hope this will help.*** :aok:

Okay guys, I my girl hasn't been doing to well lately and I finally got around to ripping out the switch for the lights... its was pretty dirty got it all cleaned up, but the rear lights still don't turn on and she's still a "one eyed dog" on low beam (only)... I cked ALL of the fuses and everything looks good... any other suggestions... comments... complaints...

Okay guys, I my girl hasn't been doing to well lately and I finally got around to ripping out the switch for the lights... its was pretty dirty got it all cleaned up, but the rear lights still don't turn on and she's still a "one eyed dog" on low beam (only)... I cked ALL of the fuses and everything looks good... any other suggestions... comments... complaints...

If cleaning it didnt solve the problem, you might have to buy a new one.

I cleaned mine and it worked for a little while, but eventually I needed to buy a new one.

Maybe you can get a good used one, but in my opinion is better to buy this kind of parts new.

If cleaning it didnt solve the problem, you might have to buy a new one.

I cleaned mine and it worked for a little while, but eventually I needed to buy a new one.

Maybe you can get a good used one, but in my opinion is better to buy this kind of parts new.

Rac... Thanks, but I was really hoping you had another idea... but honestly I was thinking you were gonna say that... cash is a lil tight right now and it looks like next pay ck... as for finding a used one here... I seriously doubt it, its a small island... but it looks like I'm going to Nissan this week...

Thanks again... the pics really did help... I really apprciate it...

Rac... Thanks, but I was really hoping you had another idea... but honestly I was thinking you were gonna say that... cash is a lil tight right now and it looks like next pay ck... as for finding a used one here... I seriously doubt it, its a small island... but it looks like I'm going to Nissan this week...

Thanks again... the pics really did help... I really apprciate it...

I am not sure if I paid 30 something or 50 something (I don't recall exactly) for the new part. I am an adjuster (insurance) and through one of our network shops got a good deal buying it.

Maybe you can get someone down there in the "business" and buy the part with a nice discount. While, at night use the emergency lights to avoid getting rear ended.

hey got a picture of it...does it take an act of congress to ship to the islands...i've got one out of an 87 if it'll work... sell it to ya for like $10 plus shipping with the non intermident switch and all that jazz...lemmie pull the pictures off...I was going to list a bunch of parts tonight on ebay so if its what you need we can work something out...i'll upload a picture after dinner...

DSCN2912.jpg

DSCN2911.jpg

worked great till i did my engine harness swap and its been in a rubbermaid tote ever since...if you dont want the connectors/wires from the factory harness i'll keep those if not they're yours...the only issue with it is the white lettering is rubbed almost completely off of everything

Edited by unccpathfinder

hey got a picture of it...does it take an act of congress to ship to the islands...i've got one out of an 87 if it'll work... sell it to ya for like $10 plus shipping with the non intermident switch and all that jazz...

...if you dont want the connectors/wires from the factory harness i'll keep those if not they're yours...the only issue with it is the white lettering is rubbed almost completely off of everything

Hey brother, I'am VERY interested!!!!!!!!!!

No Act of Congress to ship... Its just difficult at times... however since its relativly small and light, it makes it easier... USPS Priority gets here in usually about week, which is fine for me for the savings...

As for the writing, I just need the truck to pass inspection next month!!!!!!!!! Inspection is real laid back here, but the lights are usually not...

Anyhow like I said, I am intersted... shipping time is no problem... who knows how long Nissan will take...

I get paid next week and I am in the process of moving to a new place (here move in rent is first, last, and equal security) so I am broke right now... but like I said I get paid next week... so either e-mail me at: texasbudman@hotmail.com

or PM me... and we can disscuss the details...

I know you've checked the fuses a few times, but actually*replace* the fuse that is for your tail lights with a new one because the dash and tail lights are on the same fuse. That will 100% rule out the fuse if the problem is still there unless the fuse blades aren't making a good contact because of a previous owner wiring project.

Be sure the contacts are makeing contact. (hehe) Mine required some bending. In my pathy every light seems to be working except the reverse lights. Ideas?

Same with mine Bad Ice, no reverse lights. Not that I need them, but will be nice to have them. I was planning to have one clear fog light installed at the rear bumper, back up sensors or cameras will take the fun out of the little truck!

Texas: Are you getting the switch?

Edited by racaron

Same with mine Bad Ice, no reverse lights. Not that I need them, but will be nice to have them. I was planning to have one clear fog light installed at the rear bumper, back up sensors or cameras will take the fun out of the little truck!

reverse not working is usually the sensor on the tranny...my 87s have never worked and im almost 100% sure thats whats causing it...

Yeah, I played with the switch for a good while the are making contact... just not doing anything though... I played with the lights so long I had to jumpstart the battery to turn over... but that may be a whole different issue all together...

Anyhow, uncc says he has an old light swithch that he's willing to part with for a good price... and hopefully by the time it gets here I'll have a stuffed gremlin on the shelf...

Thanks for all the help guys... :aok:

reverse not working is usually the sensor on the tranny...my 87s have never worked and im almost 100% sure thats whats causing it...

uncc: I will replace that sensor you mentioned to see if this will solve the issue. Seems simple.

Do you know where the sensor is at the tranny, exactly? Mine has a manual tranny.

Thx!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I had this same issue and ran a meter the entire length of the vehicle everything worked but my running lights. Mine ended up being a short on the stereo back behind the dash. Even though stereo worked.

I had the same issue all lights worked except the running lights in the rear. It ended up being a short behind my stereo even though it worked.

Behind the stereo huh... you know uncc is gonna mail me an old light swithch... but the original owner had a dvd player rigged in her... of course some crack head pryed the door open that first weekend and took care of that problem... I taped up the loose wires I could find but didn't ck behind the radio...

Damn Crack Heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ar15:

I'll ck after work... but she was a one eyed dog before too... but its gonna be at least a week for the switch to get here... Caribbean Time...

Thanks... :crossedwires:

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I played with the switch for a good while the are making contact... just not doing anything though... I played with the lights so long I had to jumpstart the battery to turn over... but that may be a whole different issue all together...

Anyhow, uncc says he has an old light swithch that he's willing to part with for a good price... and hopefully by the time it gets here I'll have a stuffed gremlin on the shelf...

Thanks for all the help guys... :aok:

Putting that swithch that John sent me was like Lighting a Chirstmas Tree... all types of lights!!!.. :aok:

John, thanks again Brother...:aok::jig:

Edited by texasbudman