overheating issue

racaron

If your radiator is flowing properly and thermostat is working id lean towards airflow AKA fan clutch or clogged raidiator fins not allowing air flow to get through

if you can think about going with an electric cooling fan. Thats what I think at least half the people on this forum have done , I know i have on my last two suvs including the pathy. I recently changed form a cheap dual elecric fan setup to a single taurus 2-speed fan and the cooling system is thanking me she usually stays a couple of notches below the halfway mark , a marked difference from before. I also replaced my raidiator ,but that was 2 years ago. Good luck

Edited by gillj

95shakinPF: I have been browsing my Chilton's on the timing belt subject. Doesnt seems too hard to replace, but I am leaning toward checking the fan clutch first. Although I already flushed the rad, I am also leaning toward flushing the engine side of the cooling system. There was so much crap inside the radiator, that even the hoses for the coolant reservoir where all clogged with a nasty reddish sludge.

RedPath88: Thanks, I will do my research on the electric fan installment.

msavides: Thanks for the advise, but I already have replaced all the hoses to make sure they will last a while. I am taking the truck off road and want to make sure everything will work properly once out in the middle of no-where.

gillj: Next weekend will be working on the rad again. Although I have already flushed it, I want to make sure that is not clogged inside. Also will buy something to disolve any dirt remains that might have inside and will do the same thing with the engine. On the electric fan subject, will be heading to U-Pull-It (a popular junk yard down here) to get a nice one.

Actually that sounds like a good idea! Hopefully you may not have to go into the engine(water pump and t-belt)if it is the fan clutch assy,saving you time and money! Keep us informed and Good Luck!

P.S. I know all my drag strip buddy's(motor heads, as we're called by some) love the nissan maxima dual fan assy. Maybe you can find one of those babys and keep it double kool!! :tongue: Or, maybe find a Dodge Intrepid (there should be plenty of those POS's in the JY) I'm pretty sure they have dual fans as well!!

Edited by 95shakinPF

Yesterday, before starting taking parts apart, I used an infrared thermometer;

-Upper hose 205F

-Lower hose 195F

When I aimed it at the radiator panel is when I realized that the issue was there. I was having temperature variations for as much as 40F while taking readings along the panel. Water is flowing in certain areas and apparently not as much, or not at all, in others.

I flushed it again, and temp gauge at the panel stayed at half after an hour of heavy traffic. I bought a radiator cleaner http://www.prestone.com/products/coolingSystemTreatments.php to see if I can make the radiator to work properly again.

If this doesnt work, new radiator it is.

I kept the t-belt and H2O pump I bought, regardless of correcting the overheating issue by cleaning/replacing the radiator, I still going to replace the pump and t-belt just for the peace of mind.

Yesterday, before starting taking parts apart, I used an infrared thermometer;

-Upper hose 205F

-Lower hose 195F

When I aimed it at the radiator panel is when I realized that the issue was there. I was having temperature variations for as much as 40F while taking readings along the panel. Water is flowing in certain areas and apparently not as much, or not at all, in others.

I flushed it again, and temp gauge at the panel stayed at half after an hour of heavy traffic. I bought a radiator cleaner http://www.prestone.com/products/coolingSystemTreatments.php to see if I can make the radiator to work properly again.

If this doesnt work, new radiator it is.

I kept the t-belt and H2O pump I bought, regardless of correcting the overheating issue by cleaning/replacing the radiator, I still going to replace the pump and t-belt just for the peace of mind.

When I bought my pathfinder. I noticed that the the PO put alummaseal in the radiator. I flushed it 3 times and it still kept comeing back. I finally just replaced the radiator. I went from having very inconsistant tempatures to a steady consistant tempatures. Now My cooling system is running perfectly. I would just bite the bullet and replace the radiator especially since you say that there was goo in there. You are proabably just unblocking a few passages at a time with each flush.

Mark

When I bought my pathfinder. I noticed that the the PO put alummaseal in the radiator. I flushed it 3 times and it still kept comeing back. I finally just replaced the radiator. I went from having very inconsistant tempatures to a steady consistant tempatures. Now My cooling system is running perfectly. I would just bite the bullet and replace the radiator especially since you say that there was goo in there. You are proabably just unblocking a few passages at a time with each flush.

Mark

I have been thinking about what you just mentioned Mark. By flushing it I might clean some of the lines and maybe they wont be totally cleaned. I am interested in having a very reliable cooling system and definitely avoid worrying when it will give me issues again.

At Advance Auto I can get an AM rad for $125.00. I have been browsing online and have found them for as little as 100.00 plus s/h, making the Advance Auto the one to buy.

I have been thinking about what you just mentioned Mark. By flushing it I might clean some of the lines and maybe they wont be totally cleaned. I am interested in having a very reliable cooling system and definitely avoid worrying when it will give me issues again.

At Advance Auto I can get an AM rad for $125.00. I have been browsing online and have found them for as little as 100.00 plus s/h, making the Advance Auto the one to buy.

I think I paid 200 for mine. I think 100 bucks is well worth the piece of mind that you will not have radiator problems in the future. Also 100 bucks is a bunch cheaper than a head or a head gasket repair if it does overheat.

Mark

Hey Mark/95shakinPF: Got a radiator locally through one of our vendors for 80 bucks. Not bad.

This week has been way busy for me, but I cant wait to have it replaced next Saturday. Going to get rid of the old one and will flush the engine side of the cooling system before installing the new one. Hopefully will be the end of the overheating.

Ah, forgot... Although I already cleaned the lines to/from the coolant reservoir, will take it off to rinse it well.

Today I replaced the radiator (soooooo easy to do) and this solved the overheating issue. :aok:

Need to say that the coolant reservoir had maybe 3 cm of rust-dust at the bottom. Very nasty.

Last Friday I flushed the system and added the Prestone cleaner, today when I dumped the water it was brown! There was so much rust inside that thing!!!

The old radiator was the OEM (all metal) and apparently it gave up after so many years (a lot of them with the truck parked) with mostly sure the wrong coolant/water mix inside. Or maybe when coolant gets too old is like having plain water inside?

Well guys, let me tell you that I am a happy fish now and will move to my next task... installing the radio/speakers!

BTW, the timing belt and water pump will be done after the radio/speakers. :)

Thanks for all the help and ideas you all gave to me!

You may have done the h2o pump already and may have already done what I am about to suggest, but I am going to suggest it anyway.

While you in there, go ahead and replace the timing belt and the cam and crank seals. Might as well get new ass. belts, too.

While you at it. get some new headers, a oil filter relocation kit and a transmission cooler to by-pass the stock one. What's a few hundred extra buck, it's a Pathy, it deserves it, doesn't it :D .

95shakinPF: Thanks 95!... Do you need an instrument cluster panel?

Roost: Yeah, right after my new task with the radio/speakers installation I will be replacing the H2O pump and t-belt. At that point I might also replace the rest of the belts. As far as headers goes, I dont think I will be installing them, but I cant say I am definitely not doing it. I dont think they will make much difference as far as power goes, besides I am not really looking for having more horsepower in the Pathy. Down the road I do plan to install a 3" suspension lift-kit and maybe get better tires for the mud. But for now, the radio/speakers installation is priority.

95shakinPF: Thanks 95!... Do you need an instrument cluster panel?

Yes, I do actually! I have been hitting all the JY's around here and cannot find a 94 or 95! :angry:

I work for an insurance company and have tons of vendors at my disposition. PM me.

This is the radiator I bought for the truck, although mine has a manual tranny it came with the lines for the auto tranny.

So far has been working pretty good.

ftp://madmudders.net/npora/racaron/radiat...%20radiator.jpg

And this is a pic of the old radiator cap, you can see that it had a major rust issue.

http://madmudders.net/npora/racaron/radiator/rusty.jpg

Edited by racaron

• 2 weeks later...