Wd21 Glass Lift-support Replacement

coaz4x4

Howdy-

I want to replace the lift supports on the glass for the tailgate for my '88 Pathfinder.

I went to AutoZone, and bought these: http://www.autozone.com/R,APP283772/vehicl...oductDetail.htm

(I hope that link works...)

The problem is that as I see it, the stock ones are rivited to the brackets that attach to the frame of the liftgate, and I therefore have 0 idea how these are supposed to attach.

Anyone done this replacement and want to shed some light on it for me?

Thanks!!

They're supposed to unbolt from the body. See the 10mm nut at the base of the ball-stud against the body on each end of the lift support?

see mine came with the ball studs but mine were riveted in as coaz stated...so I didnt want to drill itout and tap the bracket b/c I knew it wouldnt work right for me so I just carefully cut the socket and popped the new one on...

Weird...I just popped the stock ones off (took a bit of force, but nothing too major) and popped the new ones on the ball mounts. Took about 10 minutes. The replacements I bought had metal clips on them to hold them on the ball mount.

see mine came with the ball studs but mine were riveted in as coaz stated...so I didnt want to drill itout and tap the bracket b/c I knew it wouldnt work right for me so I just carefully cut the socket and popped the new one on...

The Sachs ones I bought for my 93 had ball stud replacements for both ends and didn't need the original bracket at all. In fact, they would not have worked if they'd been attached to the bracket.