Cat Converter

racaron

Thanks for the reply, these are great news. I am planning to use a straight pipe instead of the cat to have a less restrictive exhaust. Hopefully it wont get too loud, what do you think?

(Will post some pics of my 89', I believe is in pretty good shape)

I am definitely keeping the muffler, but getting rid of the cat.

Now I have other minor issues, my mechanic did some work on it (converted from R12 to 134a and replaced the high pressure power steering line) and on my way home (20 mins drive) the truck was overheating.

I noticed a pinhole at the bypass hose (the "L" shaped one) and already bought it, will replace it (seems to be a pain to do it) and while in there might also remove the thermostat (I live in SoFla) because I think is sticking. I believe that a pinhole on that hose should not cause the overheating (there is coolant in the system), hence my theory of the bad thermostat (truck was parked for almost two years). Any ideas?

Edited by racaron

For sure the problem is up front, either because of the pinhole at the bypass hose (lots of coolant coming out of this lil'hole) or the hose and thermostat (?).

I will try to work on it tomorrow after work.

Edited by racaron

Maybe it is the voltage regulator for the instrument cluster. That seems to be what is going on with my pathy right now.

Drove it on a 2000km round trip with the temp guage, oil pressure guage, and fuel guage on drugs.

If it's got the temp and gas going freaky it could be regulator, but if only one of the two is acting up, it's not the regulator since it's the same regulator that runs both.

Replaced bypass hose... I believe still running a little hot (needle just above half, is that normal?) after taking it for a spin around the neighborhood. Left the thermostat in... for the moment.

What I noticed is that has a lot of goo in the radiator. The mechanic told me he didn't flush it, but replaced the coolant. :ar15:

I think that maybe is running a little hot because the fins are clogged... (?) P...

Next step... taking it to 441 (thats where the shady shops are in Ft Lauderdale :shiftyeyes: ) to have the cat either removed or emptied. It also has a small exhaust leak at the back flange of the cat.

Damn I really neglected this truck! :broken:

I guess I should not write about the overheating issue in this thread because I titled it as "cat converter". So I will keep this one just for the cat issue. Well really is not an issue, but just a small leak and am getting rid of it. Will post as soon as it gets removed (or emptied) to write how the Pathy rides without it.

Edited by racaron

• 3 weeks later...
I am planning to get rid of the cat converter. :shiftyeyes: My only concern is a CEL. :suicide:

Does anyone knows if an 89' Pathy (3/89) has an O2 sensor behind the cat?

nope. the o2 sensor is before the cat. i gutted my cat and opened up a bunch more noticeably ponies. it isn't that much louder. in Canada you don't need a cat if it is pre 1991. i say Canada but i guess i should say everywhere except ontario and BC.

nope. the o2 sensor is before the cat. i gutted my cat and opened up a bunch more noticeably ponies. it isn't that much louder. in Canada you don't need a cat if it is pre 1991. i say Canada but i guess i should say everywhere except ontario and BC.

Thx for the info! Any mileage gained?

Edited by racaron

Ditto a high flow cat. Why not drop one in for a few $, and save everybody a few breaths of "fresh" air and see the same gains in power.

Any links for a good high flow cat I could use for the Pathy? Would be nice if I could keep the OEM cat protector plate.

• 3 weeks later...

i am currently getting all new exhaust too, i should have the pacesetters on in a couple days and was planning to axe the Cat. Converter and run straight pipe to save some $$. Is it really that much louder that with the Cat? I'll still have a muffler on it.

thanks for info.