Shot Key Cylinder?

coaz4x4

Howdy-

Some of y'all may have seen my intro post, but I just got a 88 and am working on her a bit here and a bit there.

My main issues right now are the deck (which I am covering pretty well) and the drivers door lock (where I need help).

The key does a full 360 in the lock, with no effect on the door. The handles (interior and exterior) work a-ok, and so does the indicator pin when i push it down to lock the door.

I assume I am going to need to replace the key cylinder?

Thanks!

is it the entire lock or just the internal components that spin...I suspect its not the entire lock assembly but if it is try to hold it and turn the key if it works then the clip that holds the lock in place came off somehow and needs to be replaced...

Some of the people on Ronin think it might be the clips etc/ on the inside too because it is just the internal components that go 360, and not the whole unit. I am going to yank the door panel tomorrow hopefully and have a look-see.

Some of the people on Ronin think it might be the clips etc/ on the inside too because it is just the internal components that go 360, and not the whole unit. I am going to yank the door panel tomorrow hopefully and have a look-see.

your not going to be able to see much...and have the band-aides ready...the door is a PITA to work on I broke my driverside handle off 1 night and it took me 2 hrs to replace it b/c of that stupid lil actuator arm and clips (and probably not having the right tools)

let us know what you find, my 93 has the same problem. But at least this way it forces me to open the doors for ladies!!

You didn't to begin with? Dang...

I used to open mine all the time for the gf...but 2 years later I got power locks with the remote and that went out the window...so now she gets it if I come to her door 1st or if I'm feeling like a good ole boy

the door isnt to bad but then again i dont have power anything i just pop the clip off the window handle then the square fron the door handle on the inside pops off with a flat head and then the skin pop off much the same with the little pins holding it but be careful they are plastic and will break just roll your window up to get it outta the way and look inside i had this same problem it was just the latch that clips into the cylinder that came off a trip the pick a part solved that

i have the same problem, i discovered yesterday. i was backed into a parking space in the target parking lot, so i couldn't open the back hatch either. i was completely locked out until the person behind me left. then everyone was looking all weird at me crawling through my car from the back. it just doesn't get used enough?

I had to crawl in the back in the middle of Downtown Denver... and before I replaced the liftgate struts... that was awkward...

I hope to get my door panel off this weekend... School is time consuming...

i have the same problem, i discovered yesterday. i was backed into a parking space in the target parking lot, so i couldn't open the back hatch either. i was completely locked out until the person behind me left. then everyone was looking all weird at me crawling through my car from the back. it just doesn't get used enough?

get vent visors and bend up a clothes hanger so it will slide over the lock and store it in your trailer hitch...I made the hanger after locking my keys in my truck in my buddies driveway while showing him to "hold the handle up" on my 87 well he finally figured it out right after I showed him...and yes the keys were in the front seat so I bent the hanger and he was like you'll never get it bent it and got in in less that 5 mins...so I stuck it in the side of my hitch and looped it around the bolt so it would lock into place and it stayed there for about 4 years before it finally got too rusty and I removed it but I got to use it a couple of other times when my keys were inside and I just needed to get something out of it...

• 14 years later...