Pipecleaner

Okay i was redoing my timing yesterday and when i took off the rubberhose that connects the fresh air inlet tube that goes into the valve covers, i found a little brass pipe cleaner. Does this need to be there or did it breakoff when someone was trying to clean it?

picture001ar1.jpg

By pathfinderrookie, shot with Canon PowerShot A85 at 2007-09-10

picture003wl3.jpg

By pathfinderrookie, shot with Canon PowerShot A85 at 2007-09-10

hahaha wow...

no that shouldn't be in there.... but not a bad idea, it would still let the air ventilate but wouldn't allow large drops of oil to get sucked in your intake...

i'd be scared of having little pieces of brass wire fall into the heads....

It IS supposed to be there, but I don't have a clue as to why.

Wow... I would never believe that Nissan would put a piece of pipecleaner in a tube like that, but there you go.

i stand corrected

My guess as to the function of the "pipe cleaner" is to act as a large debris filter to prevent any large pieces of carbon or sludge that could loosen from the valve train from being sucked into the intake. But then again, it doesn't appear that our valve trains suffer from sludge buildup. Nevertheless, I would leave it there.

Damn! Dean always beats me! That is exactly why it is in there...I searched high and low to figure that out myself! When I took my dizzy off for replacement I also took all of those tubes out and cleaned the gunk out of them and was angry...I thought that one of the "shops" left it in there by mistake...really went off the deepend wondering how much of the rest of that pipe cleaner went into the engine! Lol--LAL (live and learn)

Edited by 98silverpathy

The only reason that hose is connected to the intake is for federal emissions compliance.... there can be no open crankcase ventilation - it all must be rerouted into the intake, burned, and come out the exhaust.

If you don't have to deal with CARB or smog, I would reroute that with a longer hose from the valve cover, pointing to the ground with just an open end....and plug it at the intake. It will keep your throttle body super clean.

My friend did that to his full-drag honda prelude - worked great but he got kicked out of carlsbad raceway for spitting oil all over the track when hitting 10k rpm, officials were like WTF

1-1.jpg

$1200 header for the win

Edited by FUELER

Your posts makes it seem like venting crankcase blow-by gases to the atmosphere, rather than rerouting them to be burned to reduce emissions is a bad thing.

No, its a great thing! It prevents sticky throttle body which is a common problem in our VG33's!

The problem is dealing with legal shizz - you will not pass CA smog check with that tube modified....

And what kind of emissions can come from crankcase ventilation anyways? My guess is close to nothing - especially when compared to exhaust!

No, its a great thing! It prevents sticky throttle body which is a common problem in our VG33's!

The problem is dealing with legal shizz - you will not pass CA smog check with that tube modified....

And what kind of emissions can come from crankcase ventilation anyways? My guess is close to nothing - especially when compared to exhaust!

Oops, my bad, I accidentally got it backwards. Yeah, I guess you're right: venting all kinds of pollution to the atmosphere is a great thing. May as well just go back to 1970's-era engine technology and SMOG levels, huh?

Dude, 2 posts ago you made it sound like its not bad

10 minutes later and you are a tree hugger opposed to opening ONE valve cover to ventilate, which probably gives off .000000001% of the emissions that exhaust does

Pick one, unless that was a feeble attempt at sarcasm...

Edited by FUELER