Ticking At Operating Temp

Hey guys, got a situation I am hoping to get so information on. I have a ticking niose coming from my engine. I am certain it’s a lifter. This all started with my waterpump replacement. While I hade the front end torn apart i went and did my timing belt and cam seals. It was running fine before this, so I think this is something that ive done. Is it possible to wreck a lifter when taking off the bolt for the cam gear? Ive been looking for valve train kits on the internet but im coming up empty. I have also read that on the 3.5L it is possible to adjust the lifters, does anyone know if this is true and if its adaptable for the 3.3? Where am I able to find a vale kit that would have the lifters included in it? Could the ticking be something else?

My truck starts and runs fine, but when it reaches normal temperature and my truck is under load it will begin to tick. Ive run engine flush through my oil and gave it two consecutive oil\filter changes with in 500km of each other. It seems to run better after an oil change, but my ticking comes back after a day or so. Am I looking at a new engine In the soon future or is it worth to do the lifter job? My truck has 290.000km according to the gauge cluster, but I don’t know if its right.

P Rookie

Ticking constantly, right after a timing belt change.....are you sure it's not pinging? Could you have possibly misaligned the belt, and have it a tooth or two off?

I checked the teeth between cam gear marks three times before i put it all back together. and my tension too. So it cant be off, plus i was talking with a Nissan tech guy, who used to be my neighbor, and he said that even with one tooth off, it will run like @!*%.

As for that seafoam stuff, ive tried that with a new oil change, it worked but it only lasted about 3 days before it came back.

Thanks for that link, love that zip tie idea. Zip ties... man i love those things.

So it cant be off, plus i was talking with a Nissan tech guy, who used to be my neighbor, and he said that even with one tooth off, it will run like @!*%.

Not really true. Or, at least, not always. It depends on where you're off. If the cams are aligned, but the crankshaft is off a tooth, it will still run, but lack power.

I don’t have any lack of power it runs the same as it always did. It just ticks, or better described it sounds like a jar of marbles being rolled.

Is there any way to manually adjust the timing on the 3.3's? ive looked the distributor and i dont see any way of adjustment, so the computer should thake care of the fine tuning. All my mechanically inclied buddies say it has to be adjustable, but they're all old school chey, ford, and dodge boys.

The other thing that i was thinking was, could the new timing belt i installed stretch enough to cause the timing to advance enough to give me this problem, i dont really want to go through removing the front end to check the tension

There should be a bolt holding the distributor down onto the block that if you loosen it, should allow you to turn the distributor to set ignition timing.

There’s three actually, two on the left when facing the engine, that are threaded into the block, and one on the right side that has an elongated hold that looks like it can be adjusted. But the way i see it you have to unscrew the two bolts on the left to allow the distributor to turn. Just had a thought.. the whining that i was assuming was my power steering, could be a tight timing belt, so Simon you think that if that timing belt was to tight it would throw off the timing at little but causing it to tick?

K This blows... I obviously spoke to soon, My problems back. :suicide: I took a timing light to see if the timing is okay but i cant get an accurate reading. it fluctuates between 10-20+ degrees BTDC but mostly between 15 and 20+. Is this normal not to get a consistent reading. It idles at 700 RPM. Why is each flash at a different reading? I Aslo OBD II tested it and I have a DCT P0105 error (Absolute Pressure Sensor) could this be a factor and if so what is its relation with my timing?