Is There More Spacer Interest?

tmorgan4

Since the last batch I've gotten a few emails with people asking for spacers but I've told them I wasn't making anymore. Is there more interest in these things? I may do another run of them if there is.

Spacers are used up front to help level out the rake after doing the lift. Spacers are made from 3/4" aluminum.

Edited by tmorgan4

Since the last batch I've gotten a few emails with people asking for spacers but I've told them I wasn't making anymore. Is there more interest in these things? I may do another run of them if there is.

Spacers are used up front to help level out the rake after doing the lift. Spacers are made from 3/4" aluminum.

I am ready to buy...............I forgot how much they were but I would like 2 sets to level out the rig.

What does the spacer do actually and where is it placed?

It lifts the front .75"

It is placed between the strut's upper top hat, and its mounting point where it is bolted to the top of the fenderwell. Requires you to press out the old bolts and replace with longer ones - Tyler can send you the grade 8 hardware required for an extra $15. Some people just knocked the old bolts out with a hammer.

• 3 weeks later...
After the lift, isnt the CV angles already maxed out? That was the impression I was left with.

Nope. Theres a few guys running spacers with the AC lift and they break a few CV axles here and there. Just get locking hubs.

P1000485.jpg

Edited by FUELER

For someone who knows so much about R50's, it's very odd that the post didn't make sense to you?? It's probably because im drunk.

The spacer introduces a greater angle on the CV axle than without the spacer, and also allows the suspension to drop .75" lower than before at full droop, so yeah there will be extra wear and tear but there is no set angle defined as "maxxed out".

You can break axles at any angle. I broke one on my stock R50.

Edited by FUELER

Who has been breaking axles with a no-spacers-added lift?

OBX (running spacers) has broken several CV's.

Kincaid (running spacers) also recently grenaded a CV (Click for the story).

I've been wheeling for over 8 years, often with the front tires in the air, and have never blown up a CV joint. I did manage to snap the axleshaft at the splines once, but it was clearly due to metal fatigue.

I would challenge anyone who has only spacers (no drop-brackets) installed to lift the truck off the ground, engage 4WD, and spin the wheels, turning the steering from full right to full left. That's the ONLY way to tell for sure if the CV axles can really handle the additional drop.

For someone who knows so much about R50's, it's very odd that the post didn't make sense to you?? It's probably because im drunk.

The post didn't make any sense, because....it didn't make any sense!

I've been wheeling my truck HARD for about 4 years, and haven't had a single problem with CVs. I have replaced an axle once due to a torn boot, that occurred when it got speared by a stick. Just because I haven't broken a CV yet, doesn't mean it's not possible that one might break in the future...which is why I carry spares.

With the AC lift, the front suspension doesn't droop any further than stock, therefore it can be run reliably without too much concern for blowing CVs every time you go out. The Manual hubs help to alleviate friction on the boots at ride height at higher speeds, therefore helping to prevent torn boots.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still willing to sell it. Got about 10 emails so far and haven't had time to respond to any. And if BernieMac reads this, I'm still working on getting back to you too. I promise I'm not the next Phil @ L&P, just busy as hell lately.

Now that I think about it, you're probably talking about the locker.

Edited by tmorgan4

Hey guys. I was just reading this thread and noticed that a lot of lifter R50 owners are installing these spacers to level out the front end. Im assuming this is to compensate for the shot strut. Mine maxes out on the down stroke when going over speed bumps\humps. I have recently made strut extenders that screw onto the top of the existing strut that will hopefully give it a 2" lift in the front to level it out, and stop that strut front maxing out going down trails. So my question is: has this idea not been though of, or does it have a problem like breaking or making the coil free float?

Hey guys. I was just reading this thread and noticed that a lot of lifter R50 owners are installing these spacers to level out the front end. Im assuming this is to compensate for the shot strut. Mine maxes out on the down stroke when going over speed bumps\humps. I have recently made strut extenders that screw onto the top of the existing strut that will hopefully give it a 2" lift in the front to level it out, and stop that strut front maxing out going down trails. So my question is: has this idea not been though of, or does it have a problem like breaking or making the coil free float?

Let's see some pics of what you are talking about!

If you are making the struts longer by adding some extension, then this might stop the strut from maxing out but will not give you any lift...

If you are talking about a spacer on top then this will give you lift but not stop the strut from maxing out...

The two issues of 1) strut topping out and 2) leveling out the front end cannot both be solved by one solution. Unless I am missing something :shrug:

:worthless:

The top part (The strut extender) screws onto the top of you existing strut, allowing the coil to stretch that extra little bit, intern leveling out the ride and stoping that strut from topping out. (Well I think, it works in my head.) I had a ACAD drawing But cant open the file cause i dont have ACAD installed.

strutextenderqs6.png

Edited by Pathfinder_Rookie

The top part (The strut extender) screws onto the top of you existing strut, allowing the coil to stretch that extra little bit, intern leveling out the ride and stoping that strut from topping out. (Well I think, it works in my head.) I had a ACAD drawing But cant open the file cause i dont have ACAD installed.

strutextenderqs6.png

That is an interesting idea. That should stop the strut from topping out as the strut should not be the limiting factor when your front end is fully extended. However, you have to be careful if you are going to remove or disconnect your front sway bar because if the strut extender allows too much extra travel you might run the risk of your spring becoming unseated when your front wheel(s) are off the ground...

As for leveling out the ride, you have to remember that when your truck is sitting still on level ground the strut is not "pulling" the spring down, nor is it "pushing" the spring up, the truck is just sitting on the spring with the strut near the middle of its travel (the strut has room to extend or contract) and so having more room to extend (by adding your strut extender) will not "lift" the truck at all, the only way to lift the truck is with longer/stiffer springs or adding a spacer on top of your strut.

I think I explained that okay, feel free to ask any questions :)

I thought about the spring becoming unseated but that can be resolved by adding a clamp to the mounting plates for the spring. As for leveling out the ride, the extender should do the same as a spacer, instead of putting an inch on top of the strut assembley you put it inside, which should give you the same outcome. I dont know if that makes sense.

extenderspacerzk7.th.png

Edited by Pathfinder_Rookie