Fuel Filter For 2003 R-50

RWC5S2

Went out wheeling today with some friends and had a great tiem. We stopped to have a bite to eat and when I started to fire up the rig it would not stay running. It would start, idle for 5-10 seconds and die. After much consternation and speaking a few colorful adjectives some one suggested to try the fuel filter. I found the rear one, removed and blew it out. The car started but died after 1-2 minutes and would not restart. I repeated the proceedure and got it to run but only below 2500rpm's. I managed to limp 50 miles home at about 35-45 mph. If I tried to run the engine over about 2250rpm's it would lurch, jump, make gasping sounds and try to roll over and die. I will obviously chang ethat filter tomorrow but have 2 questions.

1) Does that sound like just a fuel filter problem?

2) Does the 2003 Pathfinder have more than one fuel filter and, if so, where is the second or third or whatever one located? These new cars are not designed to be user friendly to find stuff.

Thanks so much.

Oh, by the way, we had great fun wheeling up to the point when my rig decided to play dead.

I have my fuel filter replaced every third oil change (ie 15,000 km) after a case of bad gas a few years back. It is also quite dusty around here.

I have always only been billed for 1 filter, so I assume the shops I have used (including a dealer) should know. 1 filter.

And as suggested, look at your air filter. Mine gets the boot every 25-30,000 km, again due to the dust around this place.

I'd be wiling to wager that it is not your fuel filter that is the primry culprit here. It may be an underlying problem, but it sounds like your truckis in "limp home mode" caused by a major issue somewhere. If your check engine light is on, get the codes pulled and report back with the codes, and we'll be able to help solve te problem.

I have always only been billed for 1 filter, so I assume the shops I have used (including a dealer) should know. 1 filter.

I've been thinking of replacing mine for a while as well. Just been procrastinating. I remember looking through the haynes manual and only seen one filter. No other filter is present.

...It is also quite dusty around here.

Speaking of dust.. I live out here in Vegas.. I better get to it.

i had a similliar problem on my old blazer, what ended up happing was i got a pack rat that crawled in to my intake and pushed it so hard that it SUCKED it all the way to the filter and ended up ripping out its guts (very messy). the air filter is what i would check first. just my .02

I plugged in the ole OBDII reader and got the following codes:

P0506

P1102..........actually this one came up 2 times

P1456.........This one was a previous problem and is supposed to be in the fuel tank hoses

Just for the heck of it I erased the codes and tried out the vehicle. It ran for about 1 minute and puked out the codes again as it slowly gagged on its own flem.

I changed out the fuel filter just for the sake of having something to do that I could actually do.

The air filter was changed last week.

Edited by RWC5S2

Looking up now....Will report back with scans from the FSM.

Uploading PDF Scans now....will report back with links.

P0506 - ISC System

P1102 - MAF Sensor

P1456 - EVAP Control System

These are the direct diagnostic pages from the Factory Service Manual for a 2003 Pathfinder. Your truck is in "Fail Safe Mode" due to a problem with your MAF Sensor. This prevents the engine from running above 2,400 RPM. You probably sucked some water/mud through the intake and it contacted the MAF Sensor. You may need to replace your MAF sensor, but it is possible that you could get away with simply cleaning it, too. Odds are though, that you did, in fact, suck something through your intake and mouse up your MAF Sensor pretty good, and you're going to have to replace it. The possible triggers for 1102 include the harness or connectors, it is possible that it simply became disconnected, but unlikely, and the MAF itself. Inspect your air filter. If it's muddy/damp, you need a new MAF Sensor.

The MAF Sensor is available through http://www.courtesyparts.com, or through http://www.nissanparts.cc for wholesale rates. The price from courtesy is $454.

The MAF Sensor is available through http://www.courtesyparts.com, or through http://www.nissanparts.cc for wholesale rates. The price from courtesy is $454.

He should also be able to use the cheaper Maxima MAF along with the thermsistor. I used it on my 01 and it's been 30,000Km's without an issue.

Check this thread and links for details

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12280

Well, it was the MAF unit. Not having any better option I let the dealer do it. I figure I got hosed but they did drop the price from the normal $700 to only $500. Of course the warranty covers everything but the MAF. I thought I could fall under the California Emissions Law that makes the dealer cover it all for 7 years or 100,000 miles. Turns out the dang car originates in Mass so it was not an original Calif car...................hosed again. I did try and clean the old unit, thinking I really got hosed. Heck, it was only really dusty and dirty. Cleaned the heck out of it but it is fried. At least I learned, too late, how easy the job was so if it goes out again I can replace it easy. Ho hum, just another day in paradise I suppose. I need to learn patience I guess.

If your MAF ever pukes out again, try to find a remanufactured one at rockauto.com - they are MUCH cheaper and you can send your old one in for a refund. All in all mine cost me like $175 to replace and it has run great. Wish I would have seen your topic sooner, sorry.

If your MAF ever pukes out again, try to find a remanufactured one at rockauto.com - they are MUCH cheaper and you can send your old one in for a refund. All in all mine cost me like $175 to replace and it has run great. Wish I would have seen your topic sooner, sorry.

I wish you had also. Oh well, at least I learned something useful. Thanks for the info.

Well if it makes you feel any better, the first time my MAF went, I had no idea what it was, and the local garage charged me over $400 to replace it with a crappy replacement MAF. No idea where they got it but it lasted less than a year. When it conked out, I finally figured it out and did it RIGHT myself and got the remanufactured MAF from rockauto. In the long run, yours was less expensive!

Well if it makes you feel any better, the first time my MAF went, I had no idea what it was, and the local garage charged me over $400 to replace it with a crappy replacement MAF. No idea where they got it but it lasted less than a year. When it conked out, I finally figured it out and did it RIGHT myself and got the remanufactured MAF from rockauto. In the long run, yours was less expensive!

I did learn the need for patience. It would have helped me a lot if I had asked a few questions first. Could have bought one, install it in under 20 minutes as well as save some dough. Hopefully I will not need your info very soon.