Exhaust ?'s

I am planning on in the next month or so doing a catback exhaust on my 97 4 wheeldrive pathy. I am planning on useing magnaflow components as I have used these in the past and love the sound. I dont know howeer if I should go with 2.25 or 2.50 inch tubeing? what are your thoughts? I was thinking 2.25 and useing these 2 magnaflow components PN 12251 and 12615. These are a dual in and single out and a regular 6" round muffler to simulate the stock muffler locations. also dose anybody know where to get the 2 flex joints in the coresponding size to what I want to use? I do not want to put more stress on already fragile exhaust manaflods. any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

I'm planning on does the same thing...since I broke the muffler off the flange. I think I'll go with 2.5 inch tubing. Any parts store should have flex tubing of that size. Take pictures of your setup and post them when you're done. :)

Opening up to 2.5" to the cats, theoretically, reduces some of the low end torque potential. When I had mine done, we flared out to 2.5" just after the pipes bend to go back to the muffler. That way, I still have the tube sizing at stock size for the first 3 feet, then flaring out to the 2.5" for the rest of the way, cutting down on restriction. It is also cheaper to do it this way too compared to going all the way up to the cats. I paid$280 from the after bends back in 2.5" with a dynomax muffler. You shouldn't need the other resonator/muffler but if you want it whisper quiet, you may as well.

• 2 weeks later...

OK its time to do the exhaust. I have been waiting and trying to decide what I wanted to do. so here is my plan. I am going it run 2.25 inch tubing from the end of the cat tubes to a Magnaflow 2.25 dual in 2.5 out muffler Part #12258 in the stock location, then 2.5 inch tube to a 2.5 inch in/out magnaflow 6 inch round muffler Part # 12616 and 2.5 out the back in the factory fashion. as for the cost to do this the main muffler is 87.95 and the round muffler for the rear is 59.95. these are from summitracing.com as they are the cheapest place I know of the get magnaflow mufflers. and i think anything over 50.00 is free shipping. so this is my plan. what do you guys think? I am hopeing and will talk to the shop I am going to have do it to make sure they have the flex joints so I dont tear up my manifolds.

2.25 in and 2.5 out is a good arrangement for you motor. However, I have dual 2.5 inch in 3 inch out and didn't notice any loss of torque. <I did that for the turbo setup that's on the way in the near future though.