Vq Or Vg

VQ or VG  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Given the chance, which vehicle/engine would you go for? Consider problems with both models.

• Newer R50 3.5 VQ
    • Previous R50 3.3 VG

I am really over waiting for a buyer of the BMW...I am ready to whole sale the car and get back into an R50....I can hardly wait any longer. I have looked at older QX4's with the 3.3 VQ and I like them whole bunches...I have also fallen in love with the newer R50 Pathfinders with the 3.5 VQ.

I am leary about shopping for a VQ due to the idea that I may already have throttle valve screws that damaged the engine, which you can't see from the outside. No dealer would openly admit they know the truck to use too much oil while the other half hardly understands it enough to know if this is a possibility.

I really really want a pathy back in my garage and want as much feed back as I can get....I also hope that this leads to a good sized discussion...that is beyond the old tire, wheel, lift, exhaust, intake bla bla bla! :FartExplode-vi:

Edited by 88pathoffroad

VQ, hands down. VG's are slow as molasses and the VQ power valve screws are a relatively easy fix with a little bit of wrench knowledge, an afternoon and some loctite.

BOTH engines impress the hell out of me however.

My mother used to have a 97 Q w/ the VG, all I remember was it wailing along at 5K RPM whenever pushed to pass on the interstate. VQ's really haven't been around for all that long though, so it's pretty hard to be able to swear by them. My vote, as far as track records and reliability goes to begin WOULD go to the VG, given their incredibly reliable history, but I have no qualms about my VQ yet, and much prefer the extra horses kicking around :tongue:

Both are excellent engines!

Hey Chris, for the best of both worlds, and to alleviate any stress the power valve screws might give you, why not look for a nice 99.5-00 SE w/ the off road package. That way you get the better styling cues of the second gen. R50's w/ the VG's reliability. That guy OR99.5speed had a really nice example of said model :tongue:

VQ for me the truck wouldn't be nearly as much fun with less power.

All though I like this truck and will keep it along time I am so pissed at nissan over these minor issues and their lack of standing up for their product it is the last nissan for me. I can fix the chicken S**t issues I can fix the corporate attitude. They are welcome to change my mind anytime if they grow some backbone and do whats right.

VQ for me the truck wouldn't be nearly as much fun with less power.

All though I like this truck and will keep it along time I am so pissed at nissan over these minor issues and their lack of standing up for their product it is the last nissan for me. I can fix the chicken S**t issues I can fix the corporate attitude. They are welcome to change my mind anytime if they grow some backbone and do whats right.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend with them lately...

VQ, no question. The problems mentioned are relatively rare, and if you are worried about them are easy to fix.

Better power, better MPG, all wrapped up in a newer machine.

Do not forget, the VQ has been selected as one of the top motors for 13 years! link

Sure did. It went 200k miles. Its sucked up water, mud, sand and other crap. Funny you bring that up because you hear of a VQ splashing through a puddle and hydrolocking. Now when your VQ goes 200k without a hitch come talk to me again.

Sure did. It went 200k miles. Its sucked up water, mud, sand and other crap. Funny you bring that up because you hear of a VQ splashing through a puddle and hydrolocking. Now when your VQ goes 200k without a hitch come talk to me again.

Even FUNNIER thing is the Brandon's VG did the SAME THING in 6 inches of water (I've been to the spot he swamped it in)

For chrissake man it can happen to anyone, especially people who drive water hazards with the inner fender lining on the drivers side removed to make way for bigger tires and wheels :rolleyes:

Edited by navygz19

HATE HATE HATE!!! IM THE BIGGEST HATER!!!! $#&% YOU!!!

150967.jpg

haha just kidding.

I'm at 130k miles on my VG33 and never had a single major problem. Bad fan clutch right now but nothing that hinders driving.

I rented a VQ35 Murano for a week and wow, much more powerful. Sporty, and the exhaust tone is addicting.

As a tow truck driver, I have seen a lot of Nissans and based on my experience, I can tell you that I would not own a VQ unless I had a lot of money to burn. Purchasing a more expensive VQ R50 does not make any financial sense whatsoever, but it does make horsepower sense.

Here are some choices:

-Fast

-Cheap

-Reliable

Pick two.

Edited by FUELER

Lol inner fender lining removed..

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/nis...t=moabriver.flv

I filled up the airbox and sucked in a ton of water. Drained the airbox and finished the trail and the weekend and drove back 250 miles with no problems at all. This was on kane creek june 2006 when i was pretty much stock.

Well, it's hard to recommend one or the other without knowing what your goals are. If you're going for big power, get the VG. 300zx tranny+modified ET manifolds and you can rock out 300+ on a factory engine. The Z31 guys do it all the time with the VG33.

My goal I would have to say is to have as much power as possible without causing myself many many headaches. I enjoyed the power my VG made after I had the cams, its just that every little thing went wrong then.

I have NOT driven the VQ yet so that I do not sell myself on it. I love the old reliability og the VG and liken it to a country song that is just so easy on the ears even non country fans like it, sort of like a good old dog! I dig QX4's and would aim that way for the VG, other than that I would head for an under warranty 03 Path........you can also see that there is a vast difference in price! Hence I lean on "my boys" (& girls) here to kind of help my through experience!

Did I mention that I really appreciate everyone that answers and votes? Well Thanks!

Edited by 98silverpathy

i'm not sure what all the reliability qualms are about the VQ. i did a mess of research before i got my 01 and the only comparable vehicle i found to be more reliable (survey-wise) was the 4runner, but hey, only a toyota's gonna be as reliable as a toyota.

If you want to do mild mods without tuning get the VQ. I/H/E and let it be and it will be adequately powered. I think you just had bad luck with your old VG...and tuning can be a pita. (btw, did you sell off that aem and safc?)