Need A Monster Radiator

turbopath

Just thought I'd ask before I did something custom... Are there any easy upgrades to a bigger radiator for the VG car50's? Every time I pull a big load the temp guage rockets to the H and boils my reservoir. Doesn't usually leak unless it's a long grade. I never overheat at any other time, so I know it's a capacity issue. Well, unless I go slow offroad in 4lo. That gets me on occasion. Anyway, I need to kill this problem before I start making big power and overheat all the time.

Just thought I'd ask before I did something custom... Are there any easy upgrades to a bigger radiator for the VG car50's? Every time I pull a big load the temp guage rockets to the H and boils my reservoir. Doesn't usually leak unless it's a long grade. I never overheat at any other time, so I know it's a capacity issue. Well, unless I go slow offroad in 4lo. That gets me on occasion. Anyway, I need to kill this problem before I start making big power and overheat all the time.

Are you running the stock engine fan?

Are you running the stock engine fan?

The max fans seem about the same as the stocker to me. I would get hotter offroad with the stock fan actually. These were not light trailers btw. One of them was 3300lbs, the other was 4000. Surprisingly the car50 handles them very well with the OME's. It isn't something I try to do very often or for very far though. Regardless, the heat produced when I cross the 350 ft/lb mark will overheat me in no time with this cooling system.

Do the fans cover the entire radiator?

I recently uninstalled a FLX-295 fan from my rig. It ended up causing me too many problems for my application. I would see temps reach up to 230° while climbing steep grades at 95°F ambient. After I reinstalled the stock fan, I haven't seen the coolant temp get any higher than 218°.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any dual-core radiators available for the R50. The clearance between the radiator and the steering box is really tight. (Pic here.)

So, try hosing the mud/dirt/bugs out of the radiator, adding a bottle of Water Wetter to your cooling system and keeping the A/C off under those circumstances.

Edited by XPLORx4

hmm, time to cut and paste eh? The maxima fans fit like they came there from the factory. If I didn't know better, I would say it is the same core with different endtanks and mounting points. I'll throw on some more fans and see what happens. I have a e-fan tranny cooler I'm going to slap on as well. I was wanting to save that for the z32 trans when I get to it though.

I do not know, but is your truck manual or AT?

Reason I ask is that in Canada, the '02s are rated for towing as such:

Manual: 3,500 lbs

AT: 5,000 lbs

So there may be a different rad for each. For example the AT rad has the trannie cooler built in, so it is probably different than the manual.

If you have a manual, try an AT rad, may give you more cooling. Just guessing here.