Tranny Cooler

dernt

I'm getting ready to put on an additional tranny cooler, and I'd like to know how you made out this whichever one you installed. I have the factory external cooler in addition to the integral radiator cooler. I'm thinking I will replace the external with a bigger aftermarket. I notice the 10,000# GVW coolers at Pep Boys and Discount had smaller diameter tubing than the factory.

If you already have the auxiliary external cooler(which is additional to the basic radiator cooler they all come with), I dunno why you'd need another one. Do you do a lot of towing or beat on your Pathy offroad in hot weather?

Even with that stock external cooler its still good to replace it with a bigger one. I think most here replace them with coolers rated between 10,000-20,000 GVW. The stock external coolers also clog overtime which overheats the trans overtime. Thats what happened to mine.

It is not wise to REPLACE the stock cooler, rather to add another inline before it. The idea is that you can actually cool too much. You want to leave the stock cooler inline after your new one to act as a moderator (ie it can actually warm things up a little bit when the fluid is cool). Mine is a B&M, I think the 70255 which is rated for 16000 GVW but there is absolutely no need for one that big.

Ok, I gotta ask. I went down to my truck to check out what i've got in there. Looking in, there seems to be two radiators. Thing is, the smaller one is only slightly smaller than the larger one. I can barely see the main one from the front. Do i have some sort of upgraded tranny cooler already? My truck is a 02' SE and came with the factory tow package. Maybe that's why? Thanks.

Pete

Correct me if I'm wrong. If your truck is equipt with a tow package. The manufacture includes things such as lower gears and a larger radiator. I guess an additional radiator/tranny cooler could also be possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If your truck is equipt with a tow package. The manufacture includes things such as lower gears and a larger radiator. I guess an additional radiator/tranny cooler could also be possible.

It would seem logical, but i don't think it's the case. My gearing is 4:3, like most in 02'(although i have 4:6's with rear lsd just waiting to install). I only see two radiator looking things, the big one which is obviously the Radiator, and i think he's right, the other one is thin and has some sort of cooling component looking thing mounted vertically along one edge. I don't even think my truck has a stock transmission cooler, unless i haven't found it yet...

So anyway, factory tow package seems like they probably just slapped a hitch and some wiring on at the dealer...My luck. Now i've got to buy one of these coolers and figure out how to install the dang thing. :chairfall: