Help Out A Newbie With Brake Flush

kennyJR50

01 qx4 with 70k, brake pedal feels mushy comparing to new. searched, but couldn't find anything on the forum. any one have step by step instructions for a flush job?

it's front disc, rear drum, & abs, if that helps

thanks,

k

Edited by kennyJR50

Get a friend or assistant, then start at the rear passenger side wheel and bleed each one with a vacuum bleeder for the best results. Go from rear to front in order of distance from the brake MC. I just helped my brother do the brakes on his Chevy and it took three bleeds to get the brake pedal to stay firm.

In the service manual, it states to disconnect the abs actuator , and electric unit connections, or disconnect the negative battery cable..

and then

1. the LSV valve (4wd only) its on top of the axle

2.left rear wheel

3.right rear

4.left front

5.right front

Edited by natedawg

Before you flush make sure to check and see that your slide pins are not seized and are moving freely. I've seen stuck slide pins give a mushy pedal.

nothing is wrong with the brakes, just feeling a little mushy when comparing to a new ride.

the reason i ask, some other cars that have ABS don't require 2nd person to pump the brakes. by turning car/key on and with constant pressure applied on brake pedal, abs actuator pumps the fluid automatically & out come fluid when bleeder valve is cracked open. quick & simple

just wondering if this is the case on this vehicle

Edited by kennyJR50