Transfer Case Fluid *updated*

barthel

I've seen threads about using gear oil (75W90W) or ATF in the TX10 transfer case.

I have an '88 Auto and was wondering if one was preferable over the other. I'm going to change the rear diff fluid next week and was going to do the transfer case at the same time. I have 6 quarts of synthetic ATF already that I'm not using, so i could use that for the t-case, or I have to get the additional gear oil when I get the stuff for the diff.

Just curious what you guys (and gals) thought about one vs. the other.

:hide:

Edited by barthel

I've seen threads about using gear oil (75W90W) or ATF in the TX10 transfer case.

I have an '88 Auto and was wondering if one was preferable over the other. I'm going to change the rear diff fluid next week and was going to do the transfer case at the same time. I have 6 quarts of synthetic ATF already that I'm not using, so i could use that for the t-case, or I have to get the additional gear oil when I get the stuff for the diff.

Just curious what you guys (and gals) thought about one vs. the other.

:hide:

The manual says gear oil for the early years, and I usually have respect for and support the original design engineers.

But my education and research makes me 99% confident the ATF will be equally appropriate for this transfer case. They are bot excellent lubricants. The ATF is a little thinner, but not much. I have yet to find indicators that anything was changed between the early and late models (where ATF was specified for the case).

My THEORY is the change to ATF was a manufacturing convenience and cost decision. In the later years, most pathy's were equipped with A/T's, so Nissan was buying it by the railroad car, whereas m/t's were rare and not much fluid was purchased. Based on volumes, the ATF fluid would cost less, so why not use it?

well, this sounds like BS, but i know it to be true in some vehicles.

They run ATF, instead of gear lube for less drag and better fuel economy.

I run 75-90 in mine, but when i first changed it it was ATF.. so you can run either

Yes, absolutely ATF is slightly lower viscosity which provides an incremental increase in fuel economy. The more gears and bearings involved, the larger the increase. In our simple little TC, I'd guess at least 0.0728 mpg!

Yes, absolutely ATF is slightly lower viscosity which provides an incremental increase in fuel economy. The more gears and bearings involved, the larger the increase. In our simple little TC, I'd guess at least 0.0728 mpg!

smart ass :tonguefinger:

thanks for the calculation. :puterpunch:

At the end of the day, this is what i would do.

I don't know the autos, but i know the manuals. Your T-case input shaft seal is lubricated by the tranny oil. if that seal fails you will cross contaminate oils if you run diff oils in diff case. I know that i can run GL 4 in my T-case and tranny. And i can run ATF in my auto and in my T-case

I've always thought that as well. Run the same lube as the tranny, so in the event of cross contamination, there is nothing to worry about.

There's no seal on the output shaft of the tranny? I didn't know that. Something to be aware of when working down there. I dumped a bunch of fluid out the tail of an automatic transmission when removing it. ONCE. Gads, what a mess.

*UPDATE*

Not sure what to make of this, so I thought I'd ask.

I drained my T-case today. According to the FSM, the T-case holds 4.6 quarts. I only drained out about 3 to 3 1/2 (which didn't bug me). I let it drain for a solid hour on a level surface, re-installed the plug and went to fill it up. Well, to make a long story short, it only took about 2 1/2 quarts to refill until it started pouring out the fill hole.

Should this concern me? :wtf:

*UPDATE*

Not sure what to make of this, so I thought I'd ask.

I drained my T-case today. According to the FSM, the T-case holds 4.6 quarts. I only drained out about 3 to 3 1/2 (which didn't bug me). I let it drain for a solid hour on a level surface, re-installed the plug and went to fill it up. Well, to make a long story short, it only took about 2 1/2 quarts to refill until it started pouring out the fill hole.

Should this concern me? :wtf:

worst case scenario.

T-case input shaft seal failed, oil from transmission got into T-case. over filled T-case. yes about 2.5 quarts is correct.

This is a common problem on Toys

The help is much appreciated.

That's the last time i trust the Haynes manual, 4.6 qts my A**!

:ar15:

its because the haynes manuals have the specs for like 5000000 different year and model differences.