Overhead Console Conversion

I just added an '01 pathy to my family. I desperately wantt o replace my current overhead console with the version that has a digital compass built on. I know the mounts are all compatible and that the cover on my non-sun roofed pathy will snap into the switch spot of the replacement.

Three questions are...

1. Do I need to run accessory power to the console or can I use the power that the map lights already have?

2. Does the unit have everything the compass needs built in or are there extra parts I need to snag from the donor vehicle?

3. Does the unit have the outside temp also and again what else should I snag from the donor to make it work?

Thanks! :crossedwires:

The compass is self-contained, you can buy a little digital compass at an auto parts place for about $12 that works exactly the same way. I would think that if you're up to doing a little wiring you could just simply use the existing light wiring and add it to the new console.

I snagged a little overhead console from a Chevy S-10 Blazer that has some Homelink buttons in it, I plan on modding it to use for overhead lights. The addition of a compass and map light will be truly welcome! Old Pathys had pretty poor interior lighting.

Yes, the unit displays outside temp, both in F and C (your choice).

I believe that the ambient air temp sensor is in the nose of the car, on a bracket mounted to the centerpiece of the radiator support, right in front of the radiator (on the A/C condensor side). I could be mistaken though.

I am also dying to have a DVD drop down screen so I am thinking when I do the mod I am going to carefully nix the sunglass holder and try to splice a screen in its place. If successful pics will follow, if failed, it shall never again be spoken of. :sssh:

Since I will need to run the temp sensor to the console, and hopefully a video cable, I might as well get the dimming accessory power as well. That should be fun all in all.

I came extremely close to buying the new console today (found one at an awesome price) but I couldn't figure out how to remove the damn thing without breaking it. :broken: I was hoping the screw inside the sunglass case was the keystone, but removing it didn't seem to loosen anything.

Any tips on removal?

I think I read somewhere else that I might need to tap into the spedo for something. Is this true? There are no fuel related readouts are there (average mpg, miles remaining on tank)?

Edited by ACLoki1989

I am also dying to have a DVD drop down screen so I am thinking when I do the mod I am going to carefully nix the sunglass holder and try to splice a screen in its place. If successful pics will follow, if failed, it shall never again be spoken of. :sssh:

Since I will need to run the temp sensor to the console, and hopefully a video cable, I might as well get the dimming accessory power as well. That should be fun all in all.

I came extremely close to buying the new console today (found one at an awesome price) but I couldn't figure out how to remove the damn thing without breaking it. :broken: I was hoping the screw inside the sunglass case was the keystone, but removing it didn't seem to loosen anything.

Any tips on removal?

I think I read somewhere else that I might need to tap into the spedo for something. Is this true? There are no fuel related readouts are there (average mpg, miles remaining on tank)?

nissandoms47 has done this...you might want to ask him. I think he said he just ran a wire out to the sensor he added and connected another to the tach.

To remove it from the roof you need to take out that screw inside the sunglasses holder. Then get a screwdriver and pop the sides of the console out. It seems like its really tight but it just pops right out. You need to tap into the speedo because the compass needs to know that the vehicle is moving to update it. I didn't have that hooked up for awhile and it updated probably once every 5 minutes.

• 1 year later...

Ok now I'm doing this mod (only its for my 89)and the wires are all black, I have no Idea where do start(other than mounting) and don't want to put power to the wrong wire and fry it.

nissandoms47 if your watching any info would be greatly appreciated.

• 14 years later...
On 6/10/2007 at 11:29 AM, nissandoms47 said:

You need to tap into the speedo because the compass needs to know that the vehicle is moving to update it. I didn't have that hooked up for awhile and it updated probably once every 5 minutes.

Reviving zombie thread and to correct someone who's probably not even around anymore for future reference: The speedo wire is only partially related to the compass (or may not be at all), there is conflicting information in the service manual about the compass needing the speedo input. It seems the need for tapping the speedo is the temp display, as shown in this post here and the Electrical Diagrams section of the service manual:

I'm planning on retrofitting this overhead console to my 2003 Pathy. It seems to be a straightforward swap as long as you have another temp sensor at hand, but it's a bit annoying to wire everything up (ACC wire, dimmer, speedo, temp sensor all the way to the front of the radiator).

Edited by EricCR