Towing A Pathy

barthel

I was just curious about the best way to tow a Pathy, say to an event or such. Can it be towed on 4 wheels or the 2 rear with the trans and Tcase in neutral, or does it have to be towed with all wheels off the ground (flatbed tow or trailer)? Could i dolly it on the front wheels?

Thanks

:hide:

P.S.

Did a search already.

With regards to WD21's:

Although I don't think anyone has found an official "okey-dokey" notice from Nissan, there does seem to be pretty general consensus that towing with 2, or even 4, down is very low risk IF the transfer case is in neutral. I know several here have, as have I, with no problems.

The key is that the TC is in neutral so the output shaft (and attached innards) of the transmission is not being driven by the wheels. This is especially true with automatics as the lubrication system is pressurized by a pump - and that pump operates only when the transmission is being driven by the engine.

If an automatic trans, I would argue it could be better to leave the transmission in Park when towing to assure the transmission output shaft can not turn. Of course, the downside to that is that if for some reason the TC slipped out of neutral, it could be dramatic.