2003 Stock Locker (lsd) Rear

RWC5S2

Ok, I got a rear diff out of a 2003 Pathfinder (ordered it I should say) and it is touted as a "locker" which I am sure is a LSD. It arrived and the only difference I can see so far is a air fitting connector on the top of the diff. Before wasting my time with the dealer I figured I would ask the experts here. Is this an air locker rig? What do I need to get to make it work? Any one have experience with these? I know, kinda late to ask that now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bought the entire rear axle? or jus the 3rd member? Take a pic of it and post up. I'm still confused tho, wern't you wanting to upgrade to 4.6s? A 2003 pathfinder never came with those gears.

Edited by nissandoms47

The entire rear axel assembly came, not just the 3rd member. I had wanted to upgrade but, as you say, the 4:63 was never an option so I just went for the locker on my 4:36's. It was the same price for the entire assembly or the 3rd member so I figured a couple of spare axels would be nice to have, just in case. Seems I never get it figured out til after the fact. I will get a couple of pic's as soon as I break the thing open. I had thought it was an electric operation but it sure seems to be an air system. Heavy sigh, off on another friggin adventure to make the R-50 a bit more off road worthy.

You bought the entire rear axle? or jus the 3rd member? Take a pic of it and post up. I'm still confused tho, wern't you wanting to upgrade to 4.6s? A 2003 pathfinder never came with those gears.

Where is that "air fitting" you speak of? Is it on the 3rd member chunk, or on top of the axle housing? (In other words, it's not the differential breather you're seeing, is it?)

Where is that "air fitting" you speak of? Is it on the 3rd member chunk, or on top of the axle housing? (In other words, it's not the differential breather you're seeing, is it?)

Heh....I was thinking the same thing.

On this new diff there is an aluminum tube that protrudes from the top of the diff. It is shaped like a fitting for a regular 1/4" rubber hose line. My rear diff has the same hole but it is capped with a metal screw in plug. The location of the tube is the top center of the diff (the middle of the axel housing where the 3rd member goes in). I will get a pic today.

On this new diff there is an aluminum tube that protrudes from the top of the diff. It is shaped like a fitting for a regular 1/4" rubber hose line. My rear diff has the same hole but it is capped with a metal screw in plug. The location of the tube is the top center of the diff (the middle of the axel housing where the 3rd member goes in). I will get a pic today.

That definitely sounds like the differential breather fitting to me. You definitely do NOT have a locking diff. At best, it's a limited slip.

An air-locker's fitting would be located as shown here:

arb_14lockerside.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

I figured it was not a air locker, that would be way too cool and easy. I wonder why my diff has the hole plugged but this one has the tube coming out. Still need a gasket for the 3rd member so will ask the idiots at Nissan. My luck, I got the same system I had and it is not even a LSD. Hmm, there I go bitching again. One of those days.

That definitely sounds like the differential breather fitting to me. You definitely do NOT have a locking diff. At best, it's a limited slip.

An air-locker's fitting would be located as shown here:

arb_14lockerside.jpg

I figured it was not a air locker, that would be way too cool and easy. I wonder why my diff has the hole plugged but this one has the tube coming out. Still need a gasket for the 3rd member so will ask the idiots at Nissan. My luck, I got the same system I had and it is not even a LSD. Hmm, there I go bitching again. One of those days.

Gasket? Why not just use high-temp RTV silicone?

OK, wait a sec here. Perhaps the obvious question that nobody has asked yet is...

What are you trying to accomplish? In other words, why on earth did you buy another rear end?

Is there an orange sticker on the diff that says "LSD Oil Only"? If not, unless it was removed, you may have bought yourself another open diff.

What am I trying to accomplish? In all the confusion I almost forgot. I had originally hoped to obtain some 4:63 gears but that went down hill after I finally learned that they were never made for the 2003 Pathfinder. I figured the next best thing would be to get some used parts to obtain a LSD rear diff for my rig. Turns out the idiot that sold them to me (front and rear) screwed up and sent a couple of stock (open) axel assemblies. I found this all out today. Of course I did not need a new front diff since they do not come in LSD or any other gearing than 4:36. I got a refund on the wrong parts and they are supposed to be sending me the right (LSD) rear diff. I also get to keep the wrong parts since shipping is so high and they made the mistake. Will keep the axels I guess as spares or just list them and try and sell them.

The tube I did not recognise is the breather tube so that was solved.

I just figured a LSD rear end would be such a major improvement over what I have it would be worth the effort. Since I am not a Rock Crawler it should be just fine. Three wheels turning has to be better than 2.

Sorry for all the confusion. Too many "experts" talking out their butts, I got a bit perplexed and figured you folks would know the real truth. Next time I will consult you first. Geez, even the people at the dealership that work on these thing don't know squat.

Another fine example of an old fart goofing up. If nothing else, maybe you got a good laugh at my foolishness. Thanks for putting up with me.

Hey, I know. I will endeavor to put some wazoo new fangled sound system in the rig. That should be good for at least 300 messages pleading for help...................naw, I wouldn't put you folks through that.

At least when I blow up this rig I will now know what to look for the next time to get it right from the beginning.

Yeah, im so confused on what you are trying to do here.

:FartExplode-vi: Just remember man, that of the entire worlds population there is a top 10%.....which means 90% are left being less inteligent !

My point is that there is no reason to be hard on yourself, everyone has to make mistakes to get into the top 5% 10% 15% 20%...whatever.....I have been on this board now for like 2.5 years and have learned more about vehicles in general from being on here and reading and asking than I am sure most dealerships can vouch for! Good thing for them is that they see the stuff first hand, thus can react better...buuuuuuuuuuuut that is about they can stand on!!!

Very few times do you find truly knowledgeable people still working at a dealership...they went and opened their own shop and did things their way....that would be the top 10% mechanics. Stop and think how many people in the world have no idea what you are talking about let alont would even try to attempt this idea of yours....pat yourself on the poe poe !!!

:wiggle: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~END AFTER-SCHOOL SPECIAL HERE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :wiggle:

Listen to this and relax!!

Edited by 98silverpathy

OK, if it's an LSD you're after, then just get a new LSD third member for the rear. Don't worry about the front.

However, if it's 4.636 gearing you're after (with or without an LSD), then just look for 4.636 diffs from 96-00 model years. They will bolt right into your 2003. All R50's use the same differential housings, just with different R/P ratios.

The front diff is relatively straightforward to replace, although it's heavy and that could be a problem without proper tools. It's simply one rubber hose (diff breather), 6 bolts per axle on the CV's, 4 bolts to the driveshaft, and 4 bolts per side holding the diff to the subframe.

This was my solution to getting the diff installed:

Click for pic

Edited by XPLORx4

OK, if it's an LSD you're after, then just get a new LSD third member for the rear. Don't worry about the front.

However, if it's 4.636 gearing you're after (with or without an LSD), then just look for 4.636 diffs from 96-00 model years. They will bolt right into your 2003. All R50's use the same differential housings, just with different R/P ratios.

The front diff is relatively straightforward to replace, although it's heavy and that could be a problem without proper tools. It's simply one rubber hose (diff breather), 6 bolts per axle on the CV's, 4 bolts to the driveshaft, and 4 bolts per side holding the diff to the subframe.

This was my solution to getting the diff installed:

in_position.jpg

ARGGGGGG! Now I hear I could have bought 4:63 gears by going to the older rigs. Oh well, it is what it is. The LSD will be a big help for me.

And, I hate you...............you have way too many cool tools..........................lol

I hate to pee in your shoe, but IIRC the LSD's for R50's are pretty weak (half the strength of a WD21 LSD?) and often don't help much off-road. I'm sure it will be better than an open diff, but yeah. I believe you can rebuild it with an extra clutch disc or two to tighten it up, though. You might want to look into that if you intend to off-road it anywhere much burlier than a mud puddle. :(

Or am I totally off my rocker? Anyone with an R50 that has LSD care to chime in on it's performance?

That was not pee in my shoe............that was a full scale combat dump. :) Oh what the heck, it's only money and if I get that distressed I can always buy a Just Empty Every Pocket and start really breaking stuff. Sure seems that the LSD would be as good as the rest of the vehicle. I shall find out soon enough.

I hate to pee in your shoe, but IIRC the LSD's for R50's are pretty weak (half the strength of a WD21 LSD?) and often don't help much off-road. I'm sure it will be better than an open diff, but yeah. I believe you can rebuild it with an extra clutch disc or two to tighten it up, though. You might want to look into that if you intend to off-road it anywhere much burlier than a mud puddle. :(

Or am I totally off my rocker? Anyone with an R50 that has LSD care to chime in on it's performance?

Or, you could try and find a WD21 LSD Chunk in a junkyard or on eBay or something, and scavenge the friction disks from it, and stick them in your LSD. That would make it basically a spool, and you'd be pretty tight in the rear end.

I'm going to be installing a modified Frontier Desert Runner LSD in my Pathy in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. :) 420 ft-lbs of breakaway force should be enough to hold me over until I can save up for the ARB, no? LOL.

My R50 has an LSD. No help at all if you lift a tire. Useless in deep mud and soft sand. Helps in light mud and snow. Icy road conditions require caution as too much throttle pressure will cause the rear end to slip slip sideways. Depending on road conditions this can happen in any gear, at any prudent speed.

IMHO the LSD is still better than an open differential for most people in their daily driving. Most wont encounter a sand dune or a mud bog on the way to the mall. However, they may find themselves in an unexpected snowstorm or muddy conditions due to some other act of nature and the extra traction provided by the LSD (and proper tires) may mean the difference between being stuck in adverse conditions or home with loved ones and a warm (cold) cup (can) of thier favorite (adult) beverage. :beer: