Atf Change

Before anyone says anything...yes I've searched the forums, and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. If you know of a thread that answers my following questions, feel free to point me in that direction and I apologize in advance for the re-post! :hide:

Ok, so I bought an external tranny cooler this weekend from NAPA, and was going to install. First problem was that the tranny cooler I bought was just too big to fit up in front of the AC condenser...not a problem though as I bought the biggest one they had so I'll just return it tomorrow and get the next size down which will fit (I already measured to make sure!).

Problem 2) No drain plug for the transmission. That's a real PITA! So I was wondering if instead of dropping the transmission pan (which has a few thing blocking it, so dropping won't be as easy as it should be) I could flush out the transmission fluid another way. Two hard lines come out from the transmission and head towards the front of the vehicle. Near the front of the vehicle they are connected to rubber hose (which go to the radiator). If I disconnect the hose I should be able to change the ATF that way, correct? I could have one of the lines running into a bucket and the other line I could feed new ATF via a funnel while the engine is running. Sound ok? And just so I don't have to use the old trial-and-error method, does anyone know which is the "out" line and which is the "in" line? One of the lines comes from the driver's side of the transmission and the other comes from the passenger side.

Last question: Any idea of how much ATF our transmissions will hold? I bought 6 quarts so I figure that should be plenty, but it would be nice to know how much is supposed to go in...lol.

THANKS A LOT. Your answers are much appreciated! :beer:

Rusty,

That's almost exactly how I did mine.

I disconnected the out line to the tranny cooler, placed it in a milk jug and started the engine. It filled the jug up in nothing flat. Filled another half of one as well before it stopped pumping. At that point, I shut it down, put in a quart of ATF and started the engine again until I saw if flow purple (was switching to Royal Purple Synthetic). Once I saw the new fluid coming out, I connected the hose to the tranny cooler, let it fill up, and when it started coming out the out line of the tranny cooler, I reattached the hose. Now I just had to fill it back up.

The manual says the tranny should take 18 pints (9 quarts) of fluid, but that's with draining the torque converter as well. I pumped out about 6 to 7 quarts, and put an even 7 back in.