Cv Joint Replacement

ShadowManR6

So did some reading on trying to find where the popping is comin from in my front axle when i turn the steering wheel back and forth, pretty much determined it's probably my cv joint going out on me and gonna have to replace, now is there anywhere else i should look at for possible damage? if not, i should just need the halfshaft itself and some grease i assume? also how long can i go without changing these, since alittle short on the cash atm. thanks ahead of time as always you guys are the best! :)

Edited by ShadowManR6

Depends. How often do you use 4wd? If not often, you could leave it be for a while. If you're wheeling it, change it ASAP, as a failure in either of the half shafts renders your 4wd system useless.

It's an easy enough swap.....and used and/or reconditioned parts shouldn't cost too much.

In terms of what else to look for, check your tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, upper and lower ball joints. Any or all could cause some popping.

Just replaced one. Cost $80 with core exchange.

Time: About 2 hours taking my time.

Remove wheel. Remove hub. Remove snap ring and washer. Remove shock. Remove upper ball joint. Pivot hub down and forward. Remove 6 bolts holding axle to diff. Remove axle. Put in new one and re-assemble in reverse order. TORQUE everything properly.

well the popping didn't start till nissan attempted to try and an align it, in which they had forgotten to retighten the upper link spindle bolts, which were left half way out, and didn't catch till i got home. After that i get popping anytime i turn the steering wheel, regardless the direction, or if i come to a good stop or roll back alittle and then forward to move. the popping mostly seems straight under the drivers side, very rarely in the rear but i could be mishearing, occasionally hear on the passengers side as well.

Edited by ShadowManR6

i have popping sounds from shock bushings being about gone. it could be what simon stated above and possibly the stabilizer links. have someone sit in the truck and turn the wheel while you're under there observing and listening. good luck man.

ya the shocks and what not all are new, since i just put in less then a month ago. went to throw it in 4wheel for the first time since the popping, short turns were no problem, made a hard left and my drivers side got extremely bad popping, and wheel stiffined really bad, couldn't get it to almost turn, had to reverse outta 4wheel then move.

Do your inner tie rod ends have zerk fittings? On one of my pathys. they did and the driver's side zerk passed very close to the frame at certain angles of steering. With sloppy centerlink, I could see it hitting. Check for witness marks of something like that hitting.

you dont happen to have an L&P steering stabilizer do you? or any other brand for that matter?...if so pull the skid off and have some1 turn the wheel side to side...i bet you will notice that the plate shifted and the u bolts are hitting the front eye bolt on the front diff carrier...

after wheeling with NC95Pathfinder he couldnt turn the wheel hardly to the left but had full articulation to the right and thats what it ended up being...i barely caught it...just happened to see some shinny rub marks on that eye