Air Mass Sensor?

BobbyD

Hi! About 2 months ago my Pathy(95' SE-V6)started having very erratic idling when stopped at a light or slowing down to make a turn. The idle would go from 1,000rpm to 400 and below and stall! I brought it to my local mechanic and he replaced the air mass sensor. It was OK for 2 months and now it is doing it again. The exhaust also stinks! He got the pathy in his shop took out the A.M.S.(air mass sensor)and sent it back to the auto parts store where he got it and said it was faulty. OK, I get the pathy back and it is good for a week and it starts doing it again. My mechanic said if I were in the area when it was acting up to bring it in and get him right away so he could actually see it and experience what was going on. Has anyone had this problem before with their pathfinders?

Guest SuperSon

Could be the plug for the sensor. Look at the connectors inside and if they look so spread apart just have your mechanic tighten them by using a small flathead screwdriver. This has always been overlooked. Start your truck and wiggle that connector,If the idle changes then you know that it just needs to be tightened

The wiring is common to fail on the MAF sensor. Mine does it sometimes, and when it's acting up, my exhaust smells as well. My idle is also erratic at that time. Typically, I just wiggle the connector, and the wiring for it, and the problem goes away.