how rare is rare?

97SE

anyone out there know where I can find build stats (i.e. number of units built) for each year model and specs? I'm curious b/c I saw someone post on eBay "rare 5-speed" and I was just curious how rare my 97 SE 5-speed really is.

From consumer guide automotive:

1996-2000 Nissan Pathfinder: Highlights

Fully redesigned for 1996, Nissan's sport-utility vehicle went on sale after the model year began. This was the first major reworking of the Pathfinder since its debut a decade earlier. A new, longer-wheelbase unibody chassis replaced the old body-on-frame design. In addition to dual airbags and standard 4-wheel antilock brakes, the new Pathfinder got a bigger V6 engine. Overall length increased by 6.7 inches, wheelbase stretched 2 inches, and width grew by 2.2 inches. Despite the increased dimensions, weight actually dropped by about 200 pounds. The spare tire moved under the cargo area, but an outside-mounted tire carrier was optional. The 4-door wagon had a rear liftgate and a separate top-hinged glass back window. Three models were available: base XE, sport-oriented SE, and luxury LE. All three used a 3.3-liter V6 producing 168 horsepower. Peak torque increased from 180 to 196 pound-feet. A 5-speed manual transmission was standard on XE and SE Pathfinders. Four-speed automatic was standard on the LE, optional on others. The SE had standard part-time 4-wheel drive (not for use on dry pavement), with shift-on-the-fly capability via a console-mounted lever at speeds up to 50 mph. XE and LE models had rear-drive standard, with 4WD an option.

Most people prolly opted for the auto, but even so I wouldn't consider a '97 5-speed "rare".

I've seen sellers call them rare, but that isn't really true, in the way motorheads use the term. I'm certain Nissan sold more autos than manuals, but I see plenty of 5-speed XE and SEs. I'd consider an LE 5-speed to be rare.

My 97 XE is a 5-speed.

m.

You should never believe anything you read on Ebay. People will use whatever descriptions they can to try and entice potential buyers to bid on their auction.

My 98 is extremely RARE because I have an 03 SE rack. :rolleyes:

Why didn't you change your sixth plug 97se? It's not that hard.

that was along time ago...guess I should change my signature. I finally changed it, after about 2 weeks after the first 5...when I finally figured out what that tool in the pouch was for

I remember awhile back that someone had the truly rare.... the facelifted R50 with the spare tire carrier on the back.

I see lots of those around here, they are not rare.

How many Chilkoot Editions in the States? Now they are rare, they even have numbered plaques inside the truck. Mine is the only 2002 Chilkoot No. 0189 :D

Edited by Trainman

Rare may be an early build R50 w/ a 5 speed, but I'd personally LOVE to see what a late build one would be like!

BTW, I'm yet to see any R50 around me w/ a 5 speed, and that includes all the ones I peek into to check in parking lots :chairfall:

Rare may be an early build R50 w/ a 5 speed, but I'd personally LOVE to see what a late build one would be like!

BTW, I'm yet to see any R50 around me w/ a 5 speed, and that includes all the ones I peek into to check in parking lots :chairfall:

I did a quick search of the Buy and Sell for BC and there are 4 manual Pathys listed for years 2001-2004, as below:

2004: 0

2003: 1

2002: 2

2001: 1

They are out there, just need to look.