Grinding when trying to shift into 4L or 4H from N

MadManMike

Hi guys,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this but after reading through 3 or 4 threads I didn't find a definitive answer. this is for a auto trans.

Here is my problem:

1. Start up my car and put it into Neutral

2. Pull down 4wd stick to 4H (no problems) drive around a bit

3. Push in and pull stick down to 4wd low (no problems no grinding) drive around a bit.

4. Push in and put 4wd stick into N .. and this is where the problem lies.

5. Push stick in and "Grinding Noise" when trying to go from 4wd N to 4low or 4high.

I can go from 4 high to 4 low fine and visa versa.. but if I ever hesitate or put the 4wd stick into N then I can't get out?? without hearing an terrible sounding grinding noise.

I read that if it happens I can shut off my vehicle and then put it into 4high..

Why is this? am I doing something wrong? Are you just not supposed to put it into neutral?

Thanks for your responses. And I am sorry if this question has been asked before, but I could not find an answer to my specific case.

-Mike

Actually park would probably work....kinda.... if the vehicle isn't moving the park pin should hold the tranny stoped and since the T-case parts won't be moving there shouldn't be any grinding.......from the T-case at least. And this is why I said Kinda. You will probably get grinding from your park pin trying to lock your fly wheel.

The whole reason behind your grinding is that even in neutral a tranny still spins.....slowly and almost no torque, but it will a bit. So basically when the T-case is in neutral, the tranny might start spinning. So let's say you accidently pull your rig in D while the T-case is in neutral, it might take a couple of seconds for your T-case to slow the tranny down enough not to grind.

Hope this clears things up and I didn't confuse you to much :huh:

Denis

Yeah I think I understand now. So I might just have to wait a little for it to slow down, for now I think I will just avoid neutral all together :)

And yes I know you have to stop rolling to shift through neutral.

Thanks for your help

-Mike

Yeah I think I understand now. So I might just have to wait a little for it to slow down, for now I think I will just avoid neutral all together :)

And yes I know you have to stop rolling to shift through neutral.

Thanks for your help

-Mike

You got it :D

I just stop and put it in neutral, then shift the t-case to 4LO. Never had any problems with mine.

Same thing here... But try stopping put it in neutral then shift your T-case to neutral then try and shift to 4 low or 4 high with the t-case... At that point I get a grinding.

Like dennisb said, my transmission is probably still spinning from moving forward, therefore when I try to engage my t-case into 4h or 4l I get a grinding when the tcase and tranny meet.

I guess thats whats going on any way... I am scared to test the idea... the grinding noise makes me nervous :)

-Mike