burning popcorn smell

gxl90rx7

When im sitting in traffic, ive been smelling this burning oil smell, but it actually smells a lot like burning popcorn. I started noticing it a couple months after i bought it, its been happening for about a year now. No oil leaks, engine temps normal, tranny oil temps normal (aftermarket temp gauge), drives perfect and no other problems i can tell. any ideas? could it be just oil near the the exhaust manifold where it may be leaking from the oil filter?

Edited by gxl90rx7

I have that as well.

It was noticably stronger, a couple years back found it to be a transmision output seal. It was spitting gear oil on the exhaust.

:confused: I still get the smell now though no leaks. Most noticable in the winter.

Check under your right foot....driver's side. Could be the infamous hole there, and your carpet could be hitting the Y-pipe. A couple people have had fires because of it.

Yours is a different situation. R50's don't have the rust issues that WD21's do. It's a common spot on the older Pathy's to rust out.

I agree with Simon.

Also when you say no oil leak, do you mean no visible leak on the ground, or no visible oil leak around common gaskets like valve covers and such.

If you get leaky valve cover gaskets you might not see oil on the ground because the manifolds will burn most of it when driving and the will probaly only leak when the engine is running.

Denis

I have the smell too...it took me a couple days to find the source. It was ps fluid from the reservoir leaking onto the manifold. Check your hoses as any other evidence turns into popcorn.

Edited by turbopath