Need some assistance

Guest TMav

Guest TMav

Hi there, I'm curious how difficult it is to change out the headlights (BULB)? As I looked, it appeared that it has wire connection to the bulb. After removing the wire, how do I remove the bulb out?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Note: I have 2000 Pathfinder SE

I've never seen the 96 and up settup, but on the 86-95 , there's a plastic locking ring to hold the bulb in. If you twist counter clock wise it should come off. Hope this helps.

Denis

Samething with the R50. Press and pull out the locking harness. Twist and pull out the bulb.

Becareful of not touching the bulb with your finger when installing though. It may lead to shorter life.

Any contaminants on the surface of the bulb (such as oils from your fingers) can cause hot spots on the surface of the glass when the light is turned on, which in turn generally causes the bulb to break or explode. That's why you never touch the glass surface of a gas-filled headlight bulb. If you do, clean it off with an alcohol wipe or alcohol soaked cloth. Just make sure it's clean!

Guest TMav

I am able to get the wires locking out by press and pull, however the twist and pull on the bulb didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I dont know what year you are working on, but I just did both on my 97. I twisted the who plastic unit counter-clockwise like half a turn, then it pulled out backwards. Then just unplug the electrical connector, connect it to the new one and screw it back in. Its a little awkward down in there, but it is possible to do without taking off the headlights (as the haynes manual suggests)

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this ANCIENT thread...

The passenger side headlight passed away this weekend. I picked up a pair of OEM Sylvania H4 bulbs to put in. Anyways, my battery is humongous and difficult to remove. So in order to get easier access to the back of the housing I need to at least slide out the headlight assembly.

How do I remove the headlight assembly? Any pictograms? I know Pezzy is good about this stuff....

Thanks in advance! ;)

That doesn't mean anything fueler. If you had taken the time to read his post, you would have know that he has an oversized battery and cannot access the bulb from the rear.

Sorry OR, I don't have a diagram of your headlights...I'll page Pezzy for ya though. :aok:

I don't know if this helps but check out the picture below. I had to remove the grill and etc to get mine replace. The picture only shows the removal of the headlights not the grill. The grill is only held on by five clips :mellow:

light.JPG

Edited by Trialsin26

Thanks for the replies...

Trialsin: Thanks for posting that up, but I'm trying to decipher it...been a long day.

Figure A: Looks to be removing the hood; not necessary in my case.

Figure B: I need to take out my corner lamp in order to slide the headlight out sideways??? Makes sense

Figure C: This is where I'm confused. I guess I remover the piece below the headlight before removing the headlight assembly?

Any ideas? I'll take a look at this stuff tomorrow morning, I just need to get it 100% correct in my head or else I'll be screwed. :hide:

Just use figure B and C

There are two screws hidden behind the piece that slides out side ways. Here is a quick breakdown. You have one screw behind the grill, so you have to remove the grill. You have one (i think, if not you have to remove it anyway to remove the headlight) behind the blinker, and then you have two screws where that piece slides out. Make sure you slide it to the side and do not pull it straight out. That should do it and you should be able to remove the head light. It will suck the first time you do it so go ahead and replace both head lights at the same time. I tried the first time to remove it form inside the engine bay but the battery and air cleaner made it imposable.

Edited by Trialsin26

Trialsin, you rule.

I'm gonna follow these instructions and see if I'm not too incompetent to do it.

I called the stealer out of curiosity to see how much this stuff would cost...$25 for each headlamp installed...and that's just labor! HAHAHA i just laughed and hung up. I expected it but still.... P...

I don't know if this applies to the pathy, but when a buddy and I pulled the actual headlights from a 92 Ford Tempo way back in HS to change the bulbs we then had to realign the headlights and that REALLY sucks. You might be better off pulling the battery if that is the case with the path.

On the R50 i don't think that is a problem the adjustment is on the light it's self and does not depend on how the light is placed back on the truck. It bolts back in the same place with no adjustment.