Packed the car up to go wheeling on Sunday

P7170159.jpg

P8080160.jpg

P8080161.jpg

P8080165.jpg

P8080167.jpg

P8080168.jpg

P8080170.jpg

Then I hear a loud clanging noise and my R50 is steering funny.

I looked in the wheel well and saw this.

P8080178.jpg

again

P8080177.jpg

SLOWLY rock crawled like this all the way back to town. I am very lucky to have gotten off that trail - it was in the middle of nowhere.

Gas station:

P8080175.jpg

P8080179.jpg

Jacked up:

P8080180.jpg

Punched a few holes in my engine bay - this is a good one

P8080181.jpg

Edited by FUELER

Geez man that gave me the cringes...you weren't hopping again like you said you've done before were you? :o :o

Guess you're def. getting it lifted now!!

That's a real shame, the wheel looks terrible in that one side shot, sorry to hear about this...DAMN!

Holy hell - what would make that happen!?

I didn't take pictures of the gnarly rock crawling because I am not a huge picture person - but I am not exaggerating when I say that I went far past where the lifted Rubicons were stopping. I had Jeep owners literally telling me that they were too scared to go where I went.

I guess they had good reason to not want to go!

If that's the case, you think you might have caught the bottom of the mount on the tire? It's interesting how it's pulled forward like that.....and I've always thought your tires were really BIG for stock height... :shrug:

Edited by navygz19

goodness, that does indeed look insane...never seen anything like it in the 0 years i've been offroading =P at least all is good. let us know what the shop fixed afterwards yea?

Edited by QuismO

goodness, that does indeed look insane...never seen anything like it in the 0 years i've been offroading =P at least all is good. let us know what the shop fixed afterwards yea?

I can already tell you:

1 new strut

1 new upper plate with strut bearing, from Nissan

bend some stuff back into place

alignment

and i'm also getting new KYB shocks in the rear while it's in the shop.

:)

Wow, that sucks! What was the condition of the strut mount? Do you know why the strut separated from the mount?

This nearly happened to me last year! I was on a multiday trip in Death Valley National Park (involving nearly 100 miles of off-roading on bumpy roads), and I kept hearing a sharp rattling sound coming from the front suspension. Thorough investigation at our campsite in Furnace Creek (1/4-mile from the visitor center and main "civilized" area of the park) revealed that the threaded portion of the strut shaft had been vibrating in the strut mount, and the hole in the mount had become elongated. Furthermore, the threaded portion of the strut shaft had worn down to about 1/2 its diameter. When I tried to remove the nut, the threads sheared right off!

Fortunately, the maintenance yard had a TIG welder, and the maintenance dude welded the top of the strut to the strut mount so that I could drive it home, 400 miles away.

I really dodged a bullet there! Looks like you weren't so lucky. :sniff:

Edited by XPLORx4

I can already tell you:

1 new strut

1 new upper plate with strut bearing, from Nissan

bend some stuff back into place

alignment

and i'm also getting new KYB shocks in the rear while it's in the shop.

:)

Not bad for the amount of damage.

Now you can thumb your nose at those wimpy Jeepster rides :D

Sweet Carnage!! hope you get it fixed soon!

Not that I love jeeps or anything, but I do wheel with about 50 on a regular basis, and a lifted rubicon stopping on a trail (unless the driver is a puss) usually means you can't go either without F'n something up. Rubicons are no joke, and while jeeps are craptastic, a rubi with a lift will own any IFS pathfinder anyday on the trail.

New nomination for Damaged TOTM???

Glad you made it back into Town.... Walking Sucks...

PM me the whole Story, I promise not to tell Pezzy....

Stuck of the Month?

remove R50 & replace with WD21...situation prevented :hide:

All jokes aside, I doubt it is preventable. When you wheel, stuff breaks....It's gonna happen sooner or later if you test your limits, and that's part of wheeling. You break it, then you have an excuse to upgrade. I think it's cool that he had the balls to try something "out of his league", it feels good to show jeeps up, even if you break something. Now lift that thing!