Synthetic oil?

BobbyD

:huh: I have ran a search and nothing really convincing came up on this topic, so I must throw it to the masses again. Does synthetic oil work well in our vehicles? They have some really interesting synthetic oils out nowadays! I have 121,000 miles on my Pathy. Need to know if synthetic would be worthwhile using? 1995 SE-V6 Pathfinder. sssh

I think it really depends on the oil weight being used.

Most of the current synthetics don't cause leaks like they used to a while back.

With your mileage, you might want to run an engine cleaner like AutoRx first to clean it out first and then start running a synthetic.

Synthetics are relatively inexpensive now and to me, the advantages outweigh the cost, expecially if you plan on keeping your car for awhile.

Regarding AutoRx, do a general search and you'll find tons of positive comments about the product on many different forums not specific to Nissan.

autorx, lol. what a joke. whats that, a special name for atf or diesel fuel that comes in a pint container with a 15 dollar price tag?

Before you make fun of a product why don't you check it out first?

Sheesh, what happened to all the constructive comments that used to be posted here before?

Folks, actually, as good as synthetic are deposits may still form, although not as bad as if you used cheap oil or disregarded changing oil regularly.

BMW's are famous for having a valve tick from gummed up hydraulic lifters and various cleaners have proven to solve this problem by removing varnish and carbon deposits.

I've been running 5W 30 Mobil 1 since the first oil change some 16 years and 175,000 ago. No leakage, no burning and from what I can see in side the valve cover at oil change time it appears to be whistle clean.

I had a slight consumption of oil back 10-12,000 miles ago. I SeaFoamed my motor and the consumption stopped. I'd say my valve guide seals are reaching the useful end of their serivce. Still runs like a top and knocks down 18-20 mpg with mixed driving conditions. Not to shabby for a 16 year old daily driver.

Synthetic oil is better. As mentioned, it will show more leaks than with a conventional oil.....though does not CAUSE them.

If I thought, with ~300,000kms on my truck, that synthetic oil wouldn't leak out all over the place, or into the combustion chamber, I'd switch over as well.

I run 10w-40 high mileage in my 1990 with over 230,000 miles on it and it seems happy. no burning and no leaking. Changed every 3,000 miles. the usual lifter tapping for a few seconds at cold start up but thats typical for these engines at that age so I dont worry about it.

Redline synthetic in the gearbox and rear end. Standard lube in the front differential since it is rare that I actually put it in 4x4 mode...until I find a good mud hole around here :)

-Chris