Swapping 4wd parts into 2wd, what do I need?

blamtro

I own a '97 XE 2WD. I want to get 4WD. I have sourced a wrecked r50 to get parts from. What all am I going to need to swap? I have the auto transmission currently and will stay with that. I am aware I will need to swap in the 4WD auto trans because of the mount up to the transfer case. I know that I will need to do the following:

transmission

transfer case

front axle drive train parts

front and rear drive shafts

gear shift console

What else am I going to need to swap? I want my pathy to turn out as close to a 4x4 pathy would have rolled out of the factory as I can.

Is the oil pan on the 2WD engine the same as the 4WD engine? Will I need to swap the ECU?

Any advice would is greatly welcomed.

Edited by blamtro

I will be getting the entire donor '97 r50 for $800 so this will be cheaper then selling mine and buying another. Plus, I don't want to have to deal with relicensing the new vehicle and finding a buyer for mine.

I've never done it but i imagine, you may need:

1st - Does a 2wd have anything in the way of the 4wd system?

ECU (As stated by nismoskyz)

Wiring harness' (This might be the major issue)

Lots of time

Hydraulic jacks

Jack stands

Dollies to move the whole front suspension system in place

Helpers

Tools

and of course BEER! Lots of it!

I will be getting the entire donor '97 r50 for $800 so this will be cheaper then selling mine and buying another.  Plus, I don't want to have to deal with relicensing the new vehicle and finding a buyer for mine.

sure it may be cheaper, but is the cost less...when I say cost i mean time and effort and possibly injury (theres always a chance)

i dont see why you would need an ECU. r50 ecus arnt like the older hb and pathy ones where they are specific. pretty much the only different thing the 4wd has that the 2wd doesnt is a tcase. you dont need any computers i dont think, maybe the TCU,

this is my list i would think,

trans

tcase

front/rear driveshaft

front diff

cvs

spindles

4x4 front springs

the mounting brackets for the front diff, hopefully your 2wd subframe has the mounts for it

wiring harness for the tranny to where it plugs into the body right by the muffler, it should come prewired. pretty much the only thing the 4x4 has that the 2wd doesnt is a 4x4 switch that turns on the 4x4 light on the gauge cluster.

Up front he might as well swap the entire subframe over assuming it's in good shape.

When was it that they started putting the 4wd transmissions with the TX10s locked in 2wd in? I think it may have been in the later years...

seriously, when someone asks a question like "what do I need to get to do the swap?"-Don't respond with BS like get a 4wd. Let the man have his fun and give constructive responses. If you don't know or can't otherwise contribute ideas to help, don't post. /rant

edit: btw, if you need undercarriage pics etc let us know. And take lots of pics during the swap, I'm sure the question will come up again. What are your ultimate goals? A junk R50 would be a good place to figure out how to SAS these things. :beer:

Edited by turbopath

I do understand that this is going to be a lot of work, it is all a learning experience and I have the opportunity. Basically, I am dumping the rolled donor pathy in my garage and will begin swapping parts.

I need this information ahead of time though so I can make sure I can get everything from this donor or if I need to pass on it and find a better canidate.

Don't forget the speedo cluster since you need that pretty lil 4x4 indicator. As for the wiring harness, the R50s seem to have pre-wiring for stuff like heated seats, etc that some R50s don't have so I assume the wiring harness would be the same for the 2WD and 4WD, and the 2WD just has a few extra unused connectors.