Engine Swaps

rollins

If this is a repost, I apologize. I did a search that did not turn up much at all.

I am interested in swaping a VQ motor into my 93 SE. I've read a little about it here and there, and pmed a guy that might have some info. Does anyone know if it will work? Here is what I have heard. A VQ40+an 01 or 02 R50 5 speed will bolt up to my transfer case. But will the VQ fit in the engine bay? what about the oil pan? is there room for it?

Anybody with info on other engine swaps please post em up. I'm really open to suggestions, and interested to see what others have done.

This won't help you much but I'd just looked at a new Xterra recently and noticed how similiar the motor is to mine in layout. I'm sure there are differences but the motor mounts looked very close as with the location of most everything else. I'm sure it can be done.

I got the hook up at a local import salvage yard. I'm gonna try to get over there in the next week or so....I'm going to snap some pics and take some measurements on the VQ engine. I'm not sure if they have the right tranny, but if they do I'll check it out too.

At this point I'm not certain that I will try to pull this off or not. I'm not too excited about being a pioneer in this, but if everyhting looks good I MIGHT try to make it happen. I have a friend at work who has installed a few chevy small blocks into toyota p/u's and he told me that he could make the motor mounts for me.

My main concern is the oil pan of the VQ.

The exhaust gaskets appear to be the same.... I did not have a header or stock manifold with me when I was playing with it...

I need to just buy one or a rig that has one....

• 7 months later...

Hey guys any luck on this?

Ive been thinking about getting a new Xterra lately, but with all the problems they are having with QC and especially the front and rear ends, I think I am going to stick with the Pathy. But since the 3 has never been a powerhouse, even with the Thorleys on, Ive been thinking of stepping up to the VQ40DE with the 6spd. Has anyone done this yet? I have no problems being the first to do it, I just need the cash. So when the cash comes I will be on here posting how it goes. Untill then good luck to anyone that takes on the challenge.

Nick

THe problem with going to a VQ series is the transmission/t-case difference. You'll basically be swapping the entire drivetrain and making it all work. I don't think any WD21 parts will bolt to anything in a VQ-equipped Pathy.

You could always try a Q45 engine...the WD21 5-speed and auto both bolt right up to that bad boy. 4.5L DOHC VVT V8, mmmmhmmmm.

THe problem with going to a VQ series is the transmission/t-case difference. You'll basically be swapping the entire drivetrain and making it all work. I don't think any WD21 parts will bolt to anything in a VQ-equipped Pathy.

You could always try a Q45 engine...the WD21 5-speed and auto both bolt right up to that bad boy. 4.5L DOHC VVT V8, mmmmhmmmm.

I do understand that the tranny would be going, I didnt thinkt he t-case had to go also. It does make sense though, the new engine has more HP. Just in case anyone was wonder, I probably would replace the rear end with either a Ford or GM 8" unit to handle the new amount of HP. So what is the deal with the new VQs tranny and t-case? Are they in a different position, are they larger in physical side? Hell I would think they would drop right in, even with some minor sheetmetal adjustment.

So this Nissan V8, what Nissan engine nomenclature is it? A V8 would be nice, but I think it would take way more time and money then a VQ40DE. You would have to do something to fool the ECU into thinking there was a auto still connected, because Im sticking to manual tranny, no autos for me.

Nick

I do understand that the tranny would be going, I didnt thinkt he t-case had to go also. It does make sense though, the new engine has more HP. Just in case anyone was wonder, I probably would replace the rear end with either a Ford or GM 8" unit to handle the new amount of HP. So what is the deal with the new VQs tranny and t-case? Are they in a different position, are they larger in physical side? Hell I would think they would drop right in, even with some minor sheetmetal adjustment.

So this Nissan V8, what Nissan engine nomenclature is it? A V8 would be nice, but I think it would take way more time and money then a VQ40DE. You would have to do something to fool the ECU into thinking there was a auto still connected, because Im sticking to manual tranny, no autos for me.

Nick

The rear diff will be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. The H233B has been compared to a Ford 9" in terms of strength...

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/...php?topic=159.0