is hid headlights possible

shortysmash

i have an 01 le are there any hid conversion kits available. well let me refraise that i know there are kits out there but is there one specific one i would need. also do i have to completly rewire everything or will the balasts plug into the socket. would i need new headlight housings.

Check your bulb type (9003?) and buy the appropriate plug-n-play kit that fits your stock housing. Most kits are simply popping the HID bulb in, connecting the bulb to the ballast, and connecting the ballast to the OEM bulb connector. Also, you may want to get a relay kit so the HID kit will draw power directly from the battery rather than through the OEM wiring.

Just be aware that putting HIDs into halogen housings will cause glare depending on the housing - so you'll have to re-aim your headlights if people stare flashing you. As for brands, the cheap ebay ones are kinda a craps shoot with quality. Most recommend the xenondepot.com kits cuz they use Sylvania ballasts and bulbs rather than cheap asian ones. If you wanna read up on kit recommendations:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

Edited by t0ast

A rewiring is highly reccomended. A lot of times, the ballasts just burn up the wires. This is the main reason why you see ricers with one HID headlight. I personally want to convert my fogs to HID's and use them as headlights :D Ha!

i have an HID conversion kit on my '97 and i love it. since you have an '01, i'd get a euro spec headlight assembly from ebay to guarantee a better cut-off line. my cut-off line for my '97 isn't crisp, but it's defined enough to keep the beam below the top of the license plate of the car in front of me.

you should indeed rewire using relays/fuses between the ballasts and battery, using the headlight harness as the positive switch. although running the HID's draw less current than standard halogens, it is the initial ignition of the HID's that draw more current...i've actually tested the current, and each ballast draws about 9-11 amperes during ignition (that's at least 108 watts), then drops down to 2.8~3.2 amps shortly thereafter (around 35 watts).

so if you think about it, the halogen bulbs are rated at around 45 watts, and let's say they can stand 65 watts as the high beams are 65 watts, and the wire gauge is the same for both high and low...doubling up the current on those wires during ignition doesn't sound like a good idea...which is why i rewired using a relay for each ballast.

FYI, i got the 9004 kit for $200 on ebay, another $30 or so to purchase heavier gauge wire and relays/fuses.

here are some pics of my '97 with hid's. i remember posting these pictures when i first got the lights. the pictures don't do the lights justice, it really is insanely better.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

You can buy some BMW projectors off Ebay and mount them in your stock housing with the bulb behind the projector.

I'm overly simplifying it. You need to put the housing in a drill press and use a hole saw to cut out a perfectly round hole the size of the projector so when you install the projector and epoxy it in, it will be straight.

I did it on my wife's old Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. They produce a focused beam that will not blind other drivers.