Motor went out, from what other years will swap?

kknight

Hi to all. This is my first post.

My engine in my 97 Pathfinder LE just went out. Obviously another one from the same year would be the easiest route but are there any other engines from any other years that I could look for that would cost in roughly the same price range and be an easy swap that I wouldn't have to swap any wiring out and would still bolt up to my auto tranny?

Thanks in advance.

Not 100% sure on the wiring, but Nissan put the same VG33E engine in Pathfinders from 96-2000. ALso, Xterra's from 2000-2004 have the same engine, as well as Frontiers.

I would think that any of the engines would be a plug and play installation in your truck, since they're all the same......though, the ECU's for each could be slightly different.

when my motor starts acting up, Im going to start saving for a vq40de swap sly

Im coming close to 100k miles, so I have tons of time to save :beer:

BTW, how many miles did your engine have on it when it went?

What actually blew up on it?

yea, junior year got the best of me, but now that I'm a senior...

I put up a couple pics and an update in the off topic section. Everyone here is so much more friendly than XOC....

Thanks fellas for the responses.

The truck has approximately 150k (close if I remember right).

It started knocking very loudly one evening. I checked the fluids, oil was fine.

I took it to my Dad's mechanic that does work on our shop cars and had them check it out.

They said the motor had alreay been into, there were silicone traces here and there and that the oil wasn't getting to the motor and now it was the bottom end that was knocking.

Ouch...looks like you got a bad apple or someone beat the @!*% out of it. A vq40 would be very nice.

I agree with you Row...people here and prado are much nicer than a lot of other sites.

Or you could wait for the new skyline to come out and surely someone will wreck one within the first week of them coming out and then you could wait for that and put in the vq45dett. Your best bet since what your wanting is a easy swap is seing if you can get a vg33e long block from somewhere and bolt all your stuff on it.

A vq40de would be soooooo nice though.

Thanks fellas again for the replies.

About the truck:

I bought it as a means of reliable transportation and a bit better gas milage than my Trans Am that I was driving every day. Unfortunately now with the motor in the Pathfinder gone, I'm back to the TA which isn't good on gas, or ideling in traffic.

I'm not looking to boost it or do any major upgrades and in all honestly, it will probably never see the offroad. So I'm just looking for a motor that will swap nicely with minimal complications that won't break my wallet.

By the way, I'm new to all of the actual names and series of the motors. Can someone tell me what mine would be? Thanks in advance.

That suck's about you engine I had my blow, when I had my 88 pathy ( man I loved that pathy) :sniff: It was not that much to replace the engine, but I'm sure for the R50 it would cost more. Sorry about you car