Jerry cans on spare tire hanger?

CALPATHY

I am ready to take my Pathy on dirt, but trying to figure out where to stow spare gas. It seems a good place would be on the spare tire hanger. Does anyone make a jerry can rack for the spare tire hanger?

Spare tire hanger? Do you mean the one under the truck or the swing-out spare tire carrier behind the hatch?

If you mean the latter, you'll have to get a jerry can mount custom fabricated for that.

Spare tire hanger? Do you mean the one under the truck or the swing-out spare tire carrier behind the hatch?

If you mean the latter, you'll have to get a jerry can mount custom fabricated for that.

I meant the swing out spare tire carrier.

Where do you guys carry spare fuel?

Roof is easiest. Get a cheap old-school yakima or thule basketcase off ebay, and get a couple 2.5 gallon plastic cans designed to sit upright, and lash them down really well using NRS straps (not bungy cords). Using smaller cans is easier to lift, and minimizes loss if something goes wrong and you puncture or otherwise lose fuel.

Another option is one of those rear shelf things that come off a 2 inch reciever hitch, but you lose all departure angle and hence limit any trail rides.

Don't ever carry fuel inside the vehicle.

But the big question is - why do you need it? You have a 230+ mile range in a Pathfinder. In most of the US, if you top off at the 'last gas' station and head for the trails you will be fine. It takes a multiday remote run to demand trail refueling, or trips into Mexico or Canada where you will have distances greater then 230 miles between villages.

m.

i designed a similar one to wayne's but not as deep

n194902475_30132070_2003.jpg

herm i actually just picked up a surco rack because i mount my hi lift on the tire carrier and ive definately needed gas while on a multi day trips before. especially if you crawl around in 4 lo in 1st gear all day (not sure how automatics fair) but in like 3-4 hrs ive used a solid 1/4 tank or more just exploring. they make several mounts for gerry cans. AC makes one but its pricey and not guarenteed to fit the r50 tire carrier another company that ive of course forgotten the name of that does army navy surplus has a mount like AC called CON-FERR BLITZ JERRY CAN CARRIER and also has a more simple mount called BLITZ JERRY CAN MOUNTING BASE (search google). there are also adapters made by con-ferr that would allow yuou to stick it on the outside of your tire..not sure i like that look though and also what happens if you get rear ended with that puppy on the outside of the tire...OOPS BANG lol. im roofing it myself. just my 4 cents

Yeah and most outdoor sports stores have them, like GIJoe's, Sportsmans Warehouse, possibly REI, etc

We don't have any of them where I live, but I just went to their online store and found something that will do temporarily in the ATV section. Thanks. :)

Edited by CALPATHY

Precisely what I am after.  Did you fab that yourself or not?

Well local guy #1 fabbed a bunch and sold them to local guy #2. Local guy #2 welded it to my tire carrier. It was an issue finding the can that it was made for, but they are all over the place in the US. Guy #2 still has a bunch of the holders, but after shipping from Canada, you might be better off finding something local IMO.

Good luck, post pics when you get it all rigged up! WAVEY

Some people prefer Sceptor (plastic) to Blitz (steel). Some complain the red paint flakes off when fuel spills on it. You can't crush the plastic ones, but how that is really relevant in the real world is debatable. They are lighter, but again, who's counting - filled with fuel, it's a heavy object. I can't really say which is better for fuel. I prefer plastic to steel for drinking water, but not so sure it matters much for gasoline.

Review:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment/...scepter_can.php

sales:

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/category/...jerrycansandacc