Very Bad Noise from Engine

sorexcuse

Very strange thing happened on the way home from work. It's cold here, been shifting in and out of 4wd for the snow.

Almost home, no CEL, temp in the middle, no other lights or warnings. Get a high pitched whine as I pull in the driveway. Shut it off, coast in. Start it up, no problem but the high pitched whine is there and gets worse. Let it sit, have my better half start while I'm looking in and it's much worse very loud and almost a metal to metal type sound. Car starts fine but has the noise immediately, all belts are moving. Didn't run it for more than 30 seconds total since the noise started.

Any ideas? Of course I had just phoned and completed a deal to trade the truck in. Unfortunately, even a car dealer will notice this.

97 Pathfinder, 159k miles, A/T.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Interesting, maybe the diagnosing should start with belt removal to see if it is any of the accessories or if it's the engine. I may have to break out the Carharts and go to work tonight. Thanks.

Also, there are still no warning lights on the dash when re-started.

Will report back if I do pull the belts. If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free. Thanks.

Strange. I think your idea of taking off belts to diagnose is a good one.

You could also try some belt conditioner if you have it, in case it's just belt squeal......but that's not a metal on metal sound.....that's what's scary.

I get a nasty howl on cold start-ups from one of the pully shafts/bearings, but it goes away after a mile or so. I've assumed it is just dry, since it doesn't happen in summer months.

The fact that you didn't throw a code suggests it isn't a motor failure - just a very angry part.

Shouldn't be hard to isolate.

m.

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN! Two posts, two weekends, you guys save me. P/S reservoir was a little low, filled it with no effect. Re-tightened the belt, no effect.

Began taking belts off one at a time, the first one was the right on. My A/C compressor has frozen! Wind chills of -15 F and part of my air conditioning system goes out. Go figure!

Thank you very good, pragmatic approaches even though I flew off the deep end.

Here in upstate NY, not much. Rust on the front fenders and hood and starting in many other places. 97 SE with a/t, leather, 159k miles. From a small lot selling cars under going rate other dealers were charging, was happy to get the $3200 I got. May not sound like much, but it was more than I thought I would get.