KYB GR-2's

DJ Dank

So today I've got the Pathy at the shop and they tell me that my passenger side KYB strut is bad and is leaking. It hasn't even been 2 years and MAYBE 15k miles MAX and its already leaking???

So I need to get some replacements ASAP. So now I'm alittle apprehensive about replacing them with KYB's again.

What other struts have you lifted guys run with besides the KYB's? Not too sure about the Rancho's but I'd like some input from you guys as I'd like to order some ASAP.

Any good online sources/links would be great!

No issues on almost 2 years on mine... not sure on my mileage... maybe 30,000 miles ??

Could it be from having your truck sit while you were away?? (shot in the dark, I have NO idea)

Can't say I've heard of many KYBs failing prematurely. Of course, you are know to actually use your struts on occasion... but so do many others. I have about 35k on mine, 3 years old.

We only have 3 choices, correct?

KYB

Rancho

Emu

and I don't think the coil choice affects the strut choice.

tirerack.com is where I got by KYBs.

Yeah its bizarre. The shop is very trustworthy so I know thats not an issue. Not sure how bad the leak is, but they are going to swap in the AC front coils anyways since its all apart but I will have to replace them soon.

I did purchase them from TireRack.com also...at the time they were $57 a piece and a few weeks ago they were in the mid $60's but now it seems that they are no longer being sold. But I am wondering what the warranty is on them. I may be able to dig around and find my tirerack reciept somewhere.

I've only heard good things about KYB's and those who have replied only support what I've heard but part of me still is apprehensive about sticking with the KYB's. It could just be a dud/fluke I guess because apparently the driver side strut has no problems. I do plan on replacing both though however.

I've got almost 6 years on mine. I thought they came with a limited lifetime warranty, whatever that means in the fine print. I'll try to hunt down my warranty card if I still have it.

That warranty is for manufacturers defects, normal wear and tear does not count!!

Limited Lifetime Warranty

KYB America LLC warrants the listed quality-built products for the listed time period and/or mileage to the original retail purchaser against defect and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions. The warranty does not apply to shock absorbers which have been modified, improperly applied or installed, or installed on vehicles used in racing or for commercial applications. The warranty is void if the product is used on excessively lowered (over 1.5") vehicles or in an aftermarket coilover suspension system.

KYB's obligation under this warranty is limited to replacement of the defective shock absorber in accordance with this warranty. Cost of removal and installation are not included.

The quality-built products, time periods and/or mileage covered under this warranty are as follows:

- For as long as the original retail purchaser owns the vehicle on which the units were originally installed

- All KYB Gas-a-Just® and MonoMax® Performance Shock Absorbers

(including motorhome applications) – Lifetime

- All KYB GR-2® Gas Struts, Cartridges and Shocks – Lifetime

- AGX® Adjustable Gas Shocks and Struts and MonoMax Performance Shocks – Lifetime

More details here: http://www.kyb.com/service/warranty.php

Edited by lewisnc100

Yeah I checked out the warranty info off their site. So am I have to return the defective one before I get the new one? Not sure how well that is going to do for me since this is my daily driver.