the prado lift confuses me

xkrewx

it drops the sub-frame down 4.5 inches. so yes the sub-frame bolts to the unibody (r50s don't have a frame). So placing spacers (those blocks you see) where the subframe bolts to the unibody it drops the whole differential, UCAs, LCAs, CVs, EVERYTHING down 4.5 inches.

Thats how it works, along with a steering extension, motor mount blocks.

Any other questions you have you should direct them for www.pradolifts.com

Coils lifts don't give you increased clearance between the rear diff and the ground either, only bigger tires can do that.

True, but a coil spring lift DOES increase the front crossmember clearance.

True, but a coil spring lift DOES increase the front crossmember clearance.

Only because you are increasing the CV angles-- using strut spacers or coils do the same thing in that regard. I have AC coils with my Prado lift but purposely chose to get my strut spacers smaller than my subframe drop to maintain CV angles closer to stock. Both Max and Matt did AC coils with 4.5" strut spacers for a whopping 6.5inches lift up front with the same front crossmember clearance as somebody just running an AC lift. It is not really a property of the coils, if you had 6.5" strut spacers and stock coils with the Prado subframe drop you'd get the same clearance as an AC coil lift (not that anybody would do such a stupid thing lol). But you get the point. You can pick your goals.

Edited by MichiganAve

You do realize that with 1" spacers, you will be at greater risk of overextending your CV axles when you get a front tire off the ground, right?

Is 1" of extra droop with a wheel off the ground really any worse than a 2" coil lift 24/7??

Thanks to everyone for chiming in about the lift. It's nice to have a whole group of people that can answer questions for you while you're away. :P

Fueler, if you want a set of spacers I'm having a few sets made. They'll be $80+shipping since it's 1" thick aluminum. You have a little while to decide since I figured it would be best to have the shop make a single set so I can make sure everything lines up first due to some slight differences in strut flange drawings.

As everyone has said, the subframe drop lift doesn't increase the clearence under the front crossmember itself, but it does increase clearence drastically under the body. I'll get some measurements later. It would be great to compare with stock just to see what I've gained.

youre looking at 1/6 the costs of a real lift kit....just for spacers

Basically, i'm in love with the stock springs. They are much too comfortable to take them out.

When I saw the difference in spring rates from OEM to AC, I was shocked. I do not want to be bumped around as if I was driving a lowered rice rocket. I enjoy flying down the Mexican 5 "freeway" while sipping on a hot cup of coffee in the morning!!

Um, the AC springs are only 20% stiffer than stock and the OME springs are 10% stiffer. On my last car I ran springs 3x stiffer than these... This isn't that stiff. Considering your stockers are probably weak and saggy you will honestly get a smoother ride with new coils and shocks. You'll be surprised how much better it feels over bumps, dips, and in corners. Unless you top out, that's no fun.

Um, the AC springs are only 20% stiffer than stock and the OME springs are 10% stiffer

Those are the numbers according to AC. Sales tactic.

The actual measurements are quite different.

OEM = 115 lbs/in

AC = 160 lbs/in

That is over 40% stiffer. NOT the measly 20% like AC claims.

Found on their own board at:

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showfla...true#Post505099

Edited by FUELER