Help me choose a lift for 99 QX4 !

FUELER

Which lift you recommend for my tires??  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which lift you recommend for my tires??

• 1.75" OME medium springs
    • 1.75" OME heavy duty springs
    • 2" AC lift
    • 4" Prado lift (subframe)
    • leave it stock and trim where it rubs!

OK Please take into consideration my thoughts on this:

Basically I upsized to a 265/75/16 tires, equates to 31.6" and they rub a lot!!

It would be nice to lift but my problem is, I don't want the suspension lift due to increased wear on CV joints. I do not want to break any of those. I can not use Warn hubs on my QX4 for mechanical reasons.

How much wear is increased on the CV's with a 2" AC lift?

I am leaning towards Prado subframe lift but it is not available yet...

Pics for reference:

P7150154.jpg

P7150155.jpg

P7150156.jpg

"Minor trimming"

P7150157.jpg

It is possible to make these tires not rub, it would involve a little bit of heat gun up front and more trimming in rear.

P7150158.jpg

Thoughts, ideas, advice?

Thanks in advance guys. Please do not make fun of my car.

I like the running boards! They act as nice OEM sliders, plus I can stand on them, plus my girlfriend can sit on passenger siderail and pee comfortably when camping....

Slider marks:

P6230123.jpg

PS I don't think a small metal rail directly under the door would have prevented this rock from contacting the body... Basically I was sideways on a muddy river bank and the truck slid sideways onto a big boulder, where I had to gun it in 4x4 and scrape the siderail on the rock, with mud flinging up from all 4's. I love that feeling.

Anyways, I think that the rocky road sliders would not have protected the body in my situation.

Edited by FUELER

I like the running boards! They act as nice OEM sliders, plus I can stand on them, plus my girlfriend can sit on her side and pee comfortably when camping....

LMAO...

You've got the same look as I do...around 1inch between the tire and the flare in the wheel well. After I got my bigger tires, I went from a huge gap between my tire and fender to a tiny gap like Fueler is showing.

But I expect that after tomorrow(when my lift is on) it'll increase that gap considerably. I'll definitely post pictures tomorrow or the next!

As for the subframe drop lift...I've learned not to hold my breath for this kind of thing back when Lee and Phil was going to put something out to sell for us R50's and that was like 2 years ago?...They kept saying it's coming...its coming..its coming SOON...and kept pushing the date back on their website then you never heard about it again.

Not to put a damper on what Tyler is trying to do with Prado nor is this a reflection of them but I'd would be surprised to see the lift being commonly sold and available like the AC lift only because of all the things involved in trying to market, produce and sell the lift.

So if you plan on waiting for a lift that is "coming soon," how long are you willing to wait? A few months, a few years?

I did the AC lift on my 03 R-50 and love it. Might have gone with the 4.5" if it had been available a year ago but, oh well. I have had no problems with the CV's or any thing else. It actually raised the rig closer to 2.5" or more. I am running BFG 33's and did have to trim all the excess plastic from inside the wheel wells as well as pull the mud flaps. Do the AC, you will like it.

I replied back on AC's board and the coils they advertise as 1/2" are the same OME's that Rocky Road now calls 1.75" lift even though the specs are 1/2" lift. I have spoken with both companies about this before. I think that's an appropriate option for you, you'd clear your current tires and have less effect on your CV's than with AC's 2" coils.

I don't think its fair to compare Tyler's project to L&P's. Tyler has actually gone through several working versions and has three test lifts. I'm enjoying my 5" of lift right now courtesy of Tyler and I've put over 500 miles on it. He wants to give Max and I time to test it out and I think that's the right thing to do. In polls on his forum most people have actually asked for more time for testing before release. It is totally up to Tyler, but I think targeting a few months from now is probably perfect, and still plenty of time before summer.

For the reason Michigan just said, I voted with the OME coils, esp. if you are concerned w/ CV wear and tear. With 31's it'll clear them nicely and not leave you wishing you had 33's.

What shocks/struts are you going to go with?

Edited by navygz19

I did the AC lift on my 03 R-50 and love it. Might have gone with the 4.5" if it had been available a year ago but, oh well. I have had no problems with the CV's or any thing else. It actually raised the rig closer to 2.5" or more. I am running BFG 33's and did have to trim all the excess plastic from inside the wheel wells as well as pull the mud flaps. Do the AC, you will like it.

Personally, I have been insanely annoyed by my struts topping out with my AC lift coils. It got better after adding a 180lb front bumper, but I still hate it and wish I had gone with OME coils instead. I also sympathize with the CV angle issue as I can't disengage my manual hubs without throwing warning codes on the all-mode QX4 transfer case. The OME coils were designed to give better handling and lift than stock without causing problems. The AC coils give slightly more lift but at the cost of these issues. Obviously at the time that I bought my AC coils the Prado lift wasn't out yet, so I understand why everybody bought them before. But I am glad I am a tester and really think that anybody who wants more lift than the OME coils offers should skip past the AC coils and go with a Prado.

Well, right now I have fairly new KYM GR2 up front and old stock ones in back.

Willl OEM length KYB's work for the rocky road lift??

Yes, the KYB work with either coils. The only issue is the strut length is the same regardless of stock coils, OME, or AC, so you get less downward travel range with greater lift you choose. That's why you "top out."

You probably want some new rear shocks that are slightly longer than stock with either AC or OME. I had the Rancho 9000x from AC before, now I have Bilstein 5150's.

Michigan Ave, what is the model # for your rear Bilsteins?? How much did you pay?

I have changed my mind from Prado and i'm now considering OME springs...

I don't think a small metal rail directly under the door would have prevented this rock from contacting the body...

Anyways, I think that the rocky road sliders would not have protected the body in my situation.

That's why you need a set of sliders that stick out a bit more:

13clearance_side.jpg

I don't think its fair to compare Tyler's project to L&P's. Tyler has actually gone through several working versions and has three test lifts. I'm enjoying my 5" of lift right now courtesy of Tyler and I've put over 500 miles on it. He wants to give Max and I time to test it out and I think that's the right thing to do. In polls on his forum most people have actually asked for more time for testing before release. It is totally up to Tyler, but I think targeting a few months from now is probably perfect, and still plenty of time before summer.

I'm not trying to compare the two ventures. The pure fact that Tyler has produced test lifts and there are people out there who have them speaks for itself. I just love seeing pics of your guys' trucks. But what I'm saying is that I've come to realize is that these things take a long time.

Michigan Ave, what is the model # for your rear Bilsteins?? How much did you pay?

So I got the 5150 series Bilsteins which have an attached reservoir. AC sells them for like $125 but I got them for $99 shipped from some off road warehouse in san diego california. I got the lower valving but probably should have gone with the higher with all the armor I'm adding. You gotta note they are sold by length specs and mine are obviously much longer than you'd want without 5" lift. You can just talk with AC and they'll help you figure out which ones to get. I had to press my own bushings as they don't manufacture them to fit ours. But I think AC lists a Bilstein 5000 that will fit R50 and that's probably a good shock for you. The Rancho 9000x was good when I had it for a few weeks this fall, but certainly not on the same level as the Bilsteins.

I was gonna post as per Dean about the sliders... please dont tell me you think you can use those running boards like rock sliders...

As for the lift - and concerns - I have the 2" AC lift, which was closer to 3" in the beginning, it's been almost 2 years now, and it's sagged in the front, but a steel bumper and winch helped gravity...

CV angles, it is said that yes, the higher lift will cause more wear, although I ran over a year without the warn hubs with no issues, and have a buddy up here who ran the AC lift for 3+ years (I dont recall for sure how long) and had no issues... he has since had to replace the CVs, but he wheels the hell out of his truck, and I'm not sure how much day to day work it gets... yeah it's an issue, but I dont really think its a huge issue...

Michigan Ave mentioned topping out - yup, had the same issue, the sag has helped with that, but the only time I noticed it was when going over speed bumps, and I dont really do that all that often, when I do, I slow down, and have no issues (isnt that why the speed bumps are there anyway??)

The choice really is yours... just sharing my info.

Dean...those are 4Crawlers, right? Didn't realize they stuck out that much. I like them!

yeah they are... I believe there are pics of Deans truck on 4crawler's site

You didn't say exactly where the tires are rubbing - even with the Emu or AC coils many people still have some tire rub. That depends on the wheel/tire combo, and if you've done anything to the fender liners. Rubbing on the mudflaps, the inner 'frame' rail, and the forward edge of the fender liner may happen with either coil choice.

My BFG ATs 31x10.5 on Cragar 8s do not rub at all, although I removed the mud flaps - I'm planning on putting them back on so they may rub again. My Goodyear MTR 31x10.5 on AR steelies rub everywhere, and that tire removed one of the mudflaps for me...

One of these days you will saddle up to a rock and fold those running boards into your rocker panels/door seams and then you will be looking at an expensive body repair. Get some real sliders. it looks like you will use them - your g-friend will still have plenty to hold on to in her time of need. Once you have sliderz, and you can wrap your brain around actually relying on them to choose a line, instead of hoping nothing will hit - that changes everything on the trail.

The AC versus Emu coils have been well discussed, a few people have had both, between this and AC boards you can follow each and every agonizing decision. My website has some pictures of the Emu coils and sliderz. I've been happy with Emu suspension all around, I'll add a 1/4 inch strut spacer this spring to bring the nose up a little. Emu coils will limit you to 31s, AC coils will allow 32s. There are very few crux move instances on most trails where that specific difference will determine if you make it or not. Sliderz and full belly skids will usually let you drag through. A locker would be a bigger asset than the extra 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance. If the majority of people and trails you wheel on/with use 32s and 3+ inch lifts, maybe the ACs make more sense. For overall driveability and expedition travel, the Emu's work very well. Either way, ditching the factory suspension is a huge improvement.

m.

I have the EMU set up on my 03 Pathy. heavy duty springs up front. 31x10 tires. I put spacers up front to level it out and I had some rub. I only had to do minimal cutting on the mud flaps and front bumper inner corner. I also added locking hubs to save the wear on the cv's

Edited by kevs03pathy