Calling all Canadians

sammyb33

Ok here is the rundown. My buddies and I are looking for a good road trip this summer. We were originally thinking about driving to Alaska and doing some camping/fishing/rafting and whatnot. Turns out our budget will not allow nearly enough money for both vehicles (mine and my buddies jeep laden with supplies) in just gas money alone. I tried to get a bloated budget and it came to something like nearly 2 grand for each vehicle allowing for repairs and maintenance (it was like an 8000 mile round trip). So, since I have yet to really do any exploring of Canada or really anything up that way at all, i was just wondering what you all knew of, maybe a good river or two, we were looking for something that we could just drive and camp, not too many hotels trying to keep costs down, and plus its just more fun if we do it that way. SO, just looking for suggestions, maybe past experiences that you all have had.

(and i know i addressed the topic to Canadians, but anyone in the US can answer too, even if its places in the US, maybe you know of something that i could try out!!!)

Thanks in Advance...

-sam

There's lots of fishing & camping in Northern Ontario & Quebec... rafting, although not cheap, can be done on the Ottawa River on either the Ontario or Quebec side.

Grand Canyon?

Appalatian(sp?) trail?

ANYWHERE in Maine?

Now that I am thinking about it, I would strongly suggest Maine. I loved it there, my family got a little log shack on a lake with a chisey boat. Great time.

Alberta.

I'll take you fishing, and hell, come up for our annual nissan and import jamboree. :takebow:

X2

There are some sand dunes near Hinton/Jasper that you can get down to, plus the area is full of trails.

well im not really looking to wheel all that much, i mean im talkin about a couple thousand mile trip here.....(not saying that i dont trust my pathy, just that i always seem to break stuff :))

i would be starting out from Northern Virginia. so really the end of the trip currently is open ended. just looking really for cool parks/campgrounds sites to see (im not really into the big tourism places) we are just looking for a good 2-3 week trip that involves pretty much all outdoor activities that we love. (hiking, rafting, camping, fishing, and so on).

Yeah, Algonquin Park, Killarney, etc are between 6-8 hours from buffalo ny. There's not much for rafting, but the canoe tours are absolutely bitchin' in Algonquin - just pack light if you're spending a night or two out there. You'll have to do some portaging. There are also day camps all over the park too which are accessable by car. No gas engined boats are allowed inside the park.

Killarney is a little bit further north but it's just as, if not nicer than Algonquin. It's on the north east end of georgian bay on lake huron. Lots of hiking and some of the best fisihing in the entire province are there. Just don't forget to buy a license from a local tackle shop. I don't think you can buy them from Canadian Tire stores anymore. The Ministry of Natural Resources loves to bust americans that don't have licenses so make sure you know all the rules before you bring any fish home. I am very familiar with all the regualtions about fishing so if you have a question ask me.

Hey Skrill, when did that change? I know I got mine at Crappy last year.

hmm wierd. i wasn't able to get one at the weber street store here in kitchener last season. I ended up just going down to natural sports to get mine.