Noob with a new R50

CALPATHY

Hello to all. ] :)

Thanks to this site I've been able to get enough info about the R50 to start looking for one. I previously owned a 1986 Isuzu Trooper, which finally gave up the ghost after 296,000 miles.

Yesterday I purchased a 1997 Pathfinder SE, 3.3, 4wd with 5 speed and limited slip differential (I don't like automatics), same green color as the one the XE93 just got. It has 121,000 but the previous and only owner had it serviced on schedule by the dealer and had the timing belt, water pump etc replaced at 103,000. He also had all the receipts from day one. The engine runs great, passed smog as if new, no rust whatsovever (it lived in San Jose, CA) and the car was maintained well. It has two dings, which I don't really care that much about. The only negative is that I get the shimmy that some people reported in the past when the car hits about 60 and there is a start of uneven wear pattern on the front tires (especially driver's side). So that one I will have to figure out. But for $5,000 I figured I had to put up with something.

I am actually thinking about 16" wheels. I would welcome any thoughts on that.

First off congrats on the purchase of the R50! Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. As far as you wanting to put 16" wheels on go ahead if that floats your boat. As far as your "shimmy" at higher speeds it sounds like the dreaded high speed shakes apperantly it was a common problem on these R50's. The problem turns out to be the rear control arm bushings. I guess they were engineered crappy and tend to wear out causing a high speed wobble or shimmy. There are some good write ups in here you should investigate, I believe there is even some pics showing exactly where the bushing are located so can get under your truck and find them and determine if they are bad or not. Keep us posted.

zonian- Actually, the shimmy is different than the death wobble that's caused by worn rear trailing arm bushings.

The shimmy, typically felt in the steering wheel at certain speeds (usu. 50-60mph), is caused mainly by out-of-balance tires. The front suspension design seems to be particularly sensitive to wheel balancing.

CALPATHY- congrats on your new ride! I may see you around sometime. (I live in San Jose.)

zonian- Actually, the shimmy is different than the death wobble that's caused by worn rear trailing arm bushings.

The shimmy, typically felt in the steering wheel at certain speeds (usu. 50-60mph), is caused mainly by out-of-balance tires. The front suspension design seems to be particularly sensitive to wheel balancing.

CALPATHY- congrats on your new ride! I may see you around sometime. (I live in San Jose.)

I actually live in Monterey, but could not get anything with 5 speed locally.

I think you are correct. The shimmy starts about 60 and is felt at the steering wheel. At 70 it is still present, but not as bad. Plus the rear bushings were changed at 103,000, so unless the dealer installed them improperly, that would not be the call. I'll switch the front and rear tires and see if that changes anything.

IMHO you should skip the 16" rims. Put some 31" BFG AT's on your stock rims :) Other than that, just do what Xplor says haha, I don't think he's ever been wrong. Oh and congrats on the pathy! just like mine!

IMHO you should skip the 16" rims. Put some 31" BFG AT's on your stock rims :) Other than that, just do what Xplor says haha, I don't think he's ever been wrong. Oh and congrats on the pathy! just like mine!

Good to know, thanks. It already has 31s, but they are Dunlap not BFGs, unfortunately.

Yup, that is exactly what it was. I had the tires re-balanced and switched fronts and rears; no more shimmy at the steering wheel and a lot less noise! Supposedly they were way off on the balance.

I am a happy camper! -bounce-

Welcome! You scored - 5 Gs and full service records - sweet! and of course I'm partial to the green ones myself. There is virtually nothing about these trucks that can't be collectively diagnosed and repaired (coached) by the good people on the msg boards.

Welcome to being the 5th R50 4x4 enthusiast in Northern California! P...

Now that you've got a few of the kinks worked out, how do you plan to use your new 4x4? Getting groceries and driving over the curbs in the mall, or venturing off the beaten path and exploring the great outdoors?

-bounce-

Welcome to being the 5th R50 4x4 enthusiast in Northern California! P...

Now that you've got a few of the kinks worked out, how do you plan to use your new 4x4? Getting groceries and driving over the curbs in the mall, or venturing off the beaten path and exploring the great outdoors?

-bounce-

It will be a business truck part of the time and off-road vehicle part of the time. I have a lot of dirt roads nearby and plenty a little further away. :)

Just started on the 120,000 service. That #6 plug sure is a pain!