clutch makeing rubbing sound

ShadowManR6

Is the feeling continual, or just for a second? When you push in the clutch, the throwout bearing contacts the pressure plate springs, but then rotation is stopped. When was the clutch replaced? Im thinking wear on the pressure plate springs.

so in the case that i need to fix it up, what exactly would need to be replaced in specific? things 20 yearsold and starting to have to fix up alotta things so was kinda expected hehe (just replaced starter and power steering)

sounds like the throwout bearing is growling at ya...mine growled for a while and then i finally had to change the clutch it was toast...

another good way to test it is if you have a highway or long stretch of road you can put it in the highest gear (5th) and while going up hill put the pedal to the floor and if it slips then the clutch is starting to go...

i noticed mine starting to do that on my way to work some mornings...then i went to spin the tires and the RPMs hit 4k but my truck didnt move....rpm shifted all the way back to my hometown (120 miles away) until i got to town then i had to use the clutch and she smelled horrible...

but i'd say if shes not slipping yet and not growling all the time at ya i'd let it go till it needs replacing...but once it starts all the time it'll be time b/c the bearing would have a good chance of seizing up and that might not be too pretty

you would just need to replace the clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, rear main seal and prob change your fluids, and while the tranny is out you could change the rear cam seals pretty easily

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you finally have to get in there, do it ALL so you don't have to go back for a loooong time. You'll see why when you do. Kinda like doing timing belt - takes a fair bit of time to get to it.

Clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, surface or replace flywheel.

Edited by mws