Serpentine Belt

SantaCruz163

Before posting this subject I tried searching and couldn't find anything I was really looking for so here it goes.

My serpentine belt has been squealing a a b*tch lately and I want to change it. I went to Pep Boys and was going to get a belt and tensioner the same time I bought my plugs/wire (got AC Delco plugs and B&W wires) but I held off on the belt because they did not have a tensioner to go with it.

The question(s) I have is 1) is there a need to buy a tensioner from the stealership when I go ahead and change my belt. 2) what is the best belt to go with. 3) other than the belt & tensioner (if need be) what else should I change? I plan on cleaning all the pulleys with brake clean before the new belt, as well.

I assume you mean that your drive belts are squealing. You do not have a serpentine belt instead you have three belts all pretty easy to change. If this is the case and you are not talking about your t-belt (which needs to be changed if you have not done it and your truck has over 100,000 miles on it) I would not worry about changing your idler arm pulley (drive belt tensioner so to speak) unless the bearings are going bad in one and that is what is causing your squealing.

I had a sqeeling problem befor and I replaced 2 belts, not my ps belt because it seemed good. The other 2 seemed bad. After I replaced them, they still squealed. After that I tightned the ps belt. still squealled. Then I started spraying the idler pully with lube. It stopped but then would start back up. I then replaced it. It still squealled. So then I removed the 2 belts I already replace to get off the ps belt and it looked good, but I replaced it with a gatorback. It went away. I guess some of the lube was making its way to the ps quieting it. It really didnt seem like the ps belt and it really sounded like the tensioner pully. But it wasnt. So I see how you might think its that, but its unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a sqeeling problem befor and I replaced 2 belts, not my ps belt because it seemed good. The other 2 seemed bad. After I replaced them, they still squealed. After that I tightned the ps belt. still squealled. Then I started spraying the idler pully with lube. It stopped but then would start back up. I then replaced it. It still squealled. So then I removed the 2 belts I already replace to get off the ps belt and it looked good, but I replaced it with a gatorback. It went away. I guess some of the lube was making its way to the ps quieting it. It really didnt seem like the ps belt and it really sounded like the tensioner pully. But it wasnt. So I see how you might think its that, but its unlikely.

' holy crap that is quite a series of events dedicated to your squealing belts!

' holy crap that is quite a series of events dedicated to your squealing belts!

im anal about noises that arnt supposed to be there. If I would have just been smart and replaced all the belts at once, I would have been able to call it a day and not 'sounded' poor everywhere I went.