Adding torque?

BobbyD

Add headers, a new cat and exhaust and a free-flowing air filter. Voila, 20 HP or so magically appears.

More free flowing intake/exhaust usually adds only high-rpm power. It usually has no affect or even hurts low-end torque.

Generally speaking, the greatest factor effecting torque is the velocity of the air/fuel mixture moving through the engine, higher velocity-more torque, the more volume of air/fuel mixture the more horsepower. There are headers designed specifically for either or a compromise of both. Small short tube headers are more for torque whereas large long tube headers are more for horsepower. So removing restrictions on the intake end is just as essential as dealing with the exhaust end of the system. Picking a good free-flow cat and the right type of muffler are also important.

Generally speaking, the greatest factor effecting torque is the velocity of the air/fuel mixture moving through the engine, higher velocity-more torque, the more volume of air/fuel mixture the more horsepower. There are headers designed specifically for either or a compromise of both. Small short tube headers are more for torque whereas large long tube headers are more for horsepower. So removing restrictions on the intake end is just as essential as dealing with the exhaust end of the system. Picking a good free-flow cat and the right type of muffler are also important.

Thanks offroad, that sounds like the easiest way to go! -bounce-

I had the end of my exhaust pipe smashed in and it really hurt my torque. straigtened it out and it ran smoother.

reminds me of my buddie once. in some mud trenches and his cherry bomb dumped under neith the truck. thing would almost die when it got clogged with mud. mad funny sounds too :laugh:

as above. it may take me a while to get to 65. but damnit, i can pull yer house down. :P all i've done are headers, cat, muffler, o2 sensor. and had my pipes straightened out as much as possible while they were installing the cat and muffler. ;)