Best hitch for wheelin

turbopath

hung up? plz.. thats where the gas pedal comes in. but i like the uhaul hitch because it protects my bumper, i dont mind it sliding across some stuff. although i did make my mark on tip over challange and poison spider. i wonder if those gashes in the rock are still there.. lol. but i havent been hung up on anything.

I have a stock hitch, and the few times that I ventured off-road it gave me very little problems. I wouldnt worry about which one, just the the strongest one for the cheapest price.

I have a reese hiddin style hitch I recently put on so I havent hade the chance to wheel with it yet. I think that it would make the least possibilities to hang on anything and will make recovery easy because you can just wrap a strap around the tube, but I thing I would have liked a bigger square one because it would offer more rear protection. If your going to get hung on something back there and dont have a hitch, your bumper is coming off. All I knew when I ordered it was that it was a reese class III

Clearance on the hitch isn't nearly as much of an issue on R50's as it was on the WD21's. The hitches on old Pathy's hangs down A LOT. It seems on the R50's they're tucked up nicely.

My Pathy has been equipped with a U-haul hitch since about the first month I owned it, and it has held up to major abuse. I've never got "hung up" because of the hitch. However, it has saved my bumper quite a few times. Just about all hitches for the Pathy stick out as far as the U-haul hitch, because it has to clear the under-mounted spare tire.

If you're that worried about it, do this:

43_hr_rolleraction.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

did you fab that or was it puchased? ^

Fabbed. Used 2" square stock, drilled holes for the receiver hitch pin, welded one of these to the end of it, then painted it. If I were to do it again, I'd use a much shallower angle (10-15° from vertical) instead of 45° so it doesn't stick down so much.

03receiverwheel.jpg

04receiverwheel2.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

lol...if they're that tough then I may as well get one. I was just amazed following alex as he sunk that thing into the ground. I was just waiting for it to catch on something. But I guess you're right, better the hitch than the bumper.

Also, the U-haul hitch bolts to the frame in more places than other hitches. I've seen hitches that only bolt to the frame where the factory tow-loop brackets attach (4 bolts per side). The U-haul hitch also bolts to the frame further forward (5 bolts per side):

06sideview.jpg

(Ignore the extra bracketry and wheels on the sides of the hitch; those were added to my U-haul hitch later.)

Edited by XPLORx4

The (not so) Hidden Hitch only has those 4 bolts - replaces the factory tow plates, and is rated Class III, but I never tow anything heavy. It's primary function is to act as a factory bumper retainer for ditch crossings.

It paid for itself when I backed into a low concrete barrier in a parking garage, of all places.... would've totally munched the factory bumper. And then there was the girl who rear ended me, not a scratch on the pathy but it made such a mess out of her Pontiac...

Edited by herm

The stock one has like 5 or 6 bolts on each side.

Edit: The actual hitch has 3 on each side. The mounting plates have 2 or 3 more to bolt to the frame.

Edited by NismoSkyZ

Fabbed. Used 2" square stock, drilled holes for the receiver hitch pin, welded one of these to the end of it, then painted it. If I were to do it again, I'd use a much shallower angle (10-15° from vertical) instead of 45° so it doesn't stick down so much.

Nice.. I gotta say, good work man :aok:

dean, you are too cool! Why dont you tell us what else you have done! I havent ever heard you say anything about that befor!

Hmmm, well that hitch modification was done in spring 2003, so it's been a while! :D