4WD problem on 98 pathfinder

nick9871

1998 Pathfinder SE, 100k miles.

My brother was driving yesterday in some snowy conditions. He was using his 4WD and was doing city driving (ie stop lights and what not). He said that sometimes when he stopped the transfer case and or transmission would "slip" and he basically sat there and the engine would rev and not go anywhere. To quickly fix the problem he shifted the transmission (not transfer case) into neutral and then back into drive. Sometimes there was some grinding, but this procedure seemed to work. He said it only happened a few times. Any ideas what would cause this?

Also, another question. He just bought the Truck and it has 100,000 miles on it. I went to change the timing belt the other day and noticed that there was a metal Nissan sticker on the fan shroud that said Timing Belt replaced, and had a milage of 78k and a date of around a year or 2 ago (cant specifically remember). Should I not worry about replacing the timing belt?

Yea it sounds like it is going into neutral, and it sounds to me like its the transmission. I am just wondering why it would do this...

I have the stuff to do a tranny fluid change, perhaps it is just low on fluid and or it has not been replaced yet?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it has to be a transfer case issue, since it only happens when he is using 4 wheel drive...

Edited by nick9871